Big tree in the yard, OK or stay away?

La Honda. And that’s just from the back. We have a whole town like this. Trees HAVE occasionally “ruined folk’s days” as elt put it but it’s rare given the number of homes. Getting insurance is no problem. As for forest fires - redwoods don’t catch fire easily. One needs to have brush cleared to 50 yards or so. The fire department checks every couple of years and writes fix-it tickets if you don’t. Now a stand of pines or God forbid eucalyptus that close to the home would be another matter. Juniper hedges that look great on the outside but are full of dead material on the inside are another huge hazard. That stuff just explodes.

1 Like

If I’m in less crowded place with large land (like in La Honda), trees are welcome. If I live along the 101 corridor on peninsula or south bay with 5000-7000 sq ft lot, I would not want a large tree near the house. I do like to have trees (though not redwood) near the sidewalk.

I actually put an offer on a home with huge redwood in the backyard. Redwood tree probably is 6-8 feet in diameter. And the worst is that the tree is right in middle of the lot in the long direction. That night, I couldn’t even sleep. Due to both the stress of the offer (how much money we were offering) and that redwood tree. Luckily that was 2012; there were like 5-10 offers for every house and we were outbid.

I just had a problem getting insurance in South Lake Tahoe…in the city limits between the Building department and city hall…Insurance companies didnt want to touch it… and charged 2.5 times more than my other houses…Something is going on. …the insurance companies are scared to death of forests… .or maybe just of tree huggers…I dont have nearly as many trees as Acre and have a city fire hydrant at my property line…

Great view, Acre!

Not when I bought the place. No view due to massive numbers of low hanging dead branches which had to be removed for both aesthetics and fire safety. You can ignite dead limbs on redwood but the trunk is just about impervious to flame. Everything looks better and is safer when all the low hanging junk is removed. Did the same on a small grove of oaks next to those redwoods - oaks are more of a fire hazard. Elt likely has firs of some sort. Not quite as bad a pine or euk but more problematic then redwoods.

The insurance companies quoted without ever visting my property…They see trees and they see liability. …I am inclined to agree…But I own other properties with a much higher density of trees than the one they rejected

As per my view it is not good.

I’ve never had an insurance company even come to inspect a property. Always thought that was strange

My overpriced insurance company paid an inspector to come out after they extorted money from me…havent heard a thing from them…I am going to ask for a discount. …