Border war: San Jose and Cupertino

Call it the inevitable friction from a heady period of development. Call it an old-fashioned turf war. But when it comes to advancing their own interests, the cities of Santa Clara County are not much more polite than say, Ukraine and Russia.

A case in point: A six-story, 85-foot tall Marriott AC hotel proposed for 5696 Stevens Creek Boulevard in San Jose, not far from the new Apple spaceship headquarters. This idea is now floating through the San Jose bureaucracy.

At one point in the back-and-forth, a representative for the developer, the ubiquitous Erik Schoennauer, fired an email to a city staffer that has inflamed a few folks in Cupertino after it surfaced with a public records request.

“From an economic development perspective for San Jose, our project would clearly draw tax revenue from Cupertino,’’ Schoennauer wrote. “This is the kind of ‘border’ development San Jose needs.’’

The mayor of Cupertino, Savita Vaidhyanathan, wrote to San Jose officials in late June, pleading with them to reduce the density and height of their projects. The mayor insisted that Cupertino, which limits heights to 45 feet in its nearby “Heart of the City” area, would be harmed by such large buildings.

Schoennauer, who argues that the hotel fits in with the context of building on Stevens Creek boulevard, is not repentant.

“Why can’t San Jose have economic prosperity?’’ he asked. “Cupertino has planned 2.8 million square feet (the Apple spaceship) at San Jose’s border with no new housing. It doesn’t seem fair to me.’’

2 Likes

You are damn right Mr. Schoennauer!

1 Like

Thanks God I am going to the shooting range. Oh, wait! I shouldn’t. I hate wars! :sweat_smile:

How could Cupertino be harmed…It is not even a real city…Where is its downtown?

It’s downtown is where Apple’s headquarter is.

1 Like

That is not a downtown

Why not? Isn’t that the busiest part of town? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cupertino needs a real downtown ortherwise, San Jose should annex it…At least Campbell and Los Gatos have real downtowns

2 Likes

I agree San Jose should annex Cupertino. Teach the snobs a lesson.

1 Like

And San Francisco should annex Brisbane. Less than 5000 people it’s barely a town, let alone a city.

2 Likes

Correct, Main Street is the downtown which is just next to Apple Park.

Agree that West San Jose should merge with Cupertino.

Yes!!! Cupertino or Saratoga please annex West SJ!!!

Refer to the map below,

WSJ sticks into Cupertino. That part should merge with Cupertino. The rest of WSJ should merge with Campbell.

For more ambitious merging, combine Cupertino, WSJ, Campbell and Saratoga :slight_smile:

Best way to annex:

Cupertino annex 95129,

Saratoga annex 95130,

Campbell annex 95117.

Just for your information:
The busiest part of town is around the city hall. Basically Santa Clara St is the indicator of what “busy” means to call it downtown or not. It includes Japantown, the college, and maybe it will include Santana Row and the mall across the street. Try to find a parking spot during “busy days”.

1 Like