Buying a Bay Area home now a struggle even for Apple, Google engineers

1 Like

I wonder if home ownership status will become a thing people put on a resume. It could show the person is committed to the area, or they aren’t sensitive to sky rocketing rents.

The same fake news newspapers like to peddle for clicks. People ever heard of condos and townhouses?

2 Likes

Could have the reverse impact: since you declared you have a home already you can be paid “less” :grin:

Good luck convincing me to get paid less.
Plenty of companies exist around in south bay.

For sure, and there are plenty of candidates too wanting to get in…

you are saying this as a downward pressure?

Everyone resume builds, especially right out of college, so wouldn’t people accept a job in theory at these elite companies for less IF they could? All they want to do is get in the doors…

h1b visas as an example. i can’t tell how much it impacted salaries in general. this problem already exists?

I’m not sure. I’ve worked at the 2 most admired companies while they were ranked #1 and #2. They might do job titles different due to their size, but I definitely didn’t take a pay cut either time.

Obviously a lot of factors play into the hiring game right? I am just saying that in general there are way more applicants than positions so companies can be more choosy and perhaps skate on their names alone. Not far fetched at all…

Have you seen the comp data for top tech companies? There’s some differences in mix of base pay, salary, and stock. The top companies easily pay more total comp than B or C grade tech companies.

I am sure the top ones pay more in general especially if the talent is exceptional or if they are in a position of particular need but why would any company for that matter pay more just for the sake of paying more if they don’t need to? You have a pool of candidates willing to drink your brand of Kool-Aid as it is.

Engineers are cheap labor. Without stock options is not even worth an ounce of your time. Why do you think I quit my day job?

Need to be one to gather the necessary seed money. At least you work for good hi-tech companies, I slave for crumb in the public sector :disappointed: Agree with you that without RSUs, probably shouldn’t stay long there.

1 Like

God, who is not carrying this story???

http://www.bendbulletin.com/business/6011689-151/well-paid-tech-workers-priced-out-in-bay-area

These tech workers have not been making the necessary sacrifices… why not buy in east San Jose or the east bay? :wink:

1 Like

Agreed! Here is where I go with my “Why Not Fremont” again…

1 Like

conflict of interest - not taking the advice :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Um… you are not those tech workers, I don’t think. So my statement wasn’t geared towards you… :wink: