Buying Properties in China

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share my experience of purchasing real estate in China, which I did during a recent trip to Chengdu.

1. There are only certain stocks of properties foreigners can buy; the vast majority of housing are not purchasable by foreigners.

2. Property developers need to establish a license to be able to sell their real estate to foreigners. So you will need to consult with those licensed developments.

3. These developments are usually still in construction phase, with a delivery date sometime in the future.

4. Rent to value ratio is usually not high, so one would need a long investment horizon to hope for appreciation.

China is an exciting market to be in and I’m glad I got myself into the door with this last trip. If you are similarly interested, feel free to PM me and I’d gladly share more info. Good luck!

2 Likes

I think policy differs from one city to another, right? I still don’t know how to get mortgage for mainland properties though.

Overinvested in China already. Can’t take anymore risk.

Hmm, have you bought many houses in China?

Trump’s war on semis won’t be good for Austin.

@manch As expected you would say that. Economy of Austin is diversified. Moreover Austin is an alternative location for expensive Santa Clara.

Stock market seems to say that Trump’s Huawei ban maybe just a scare trick. It’s hard to imagine it will be carried out.

Will Trump chance of getting a second term increases or decreases with this antics? Moderates influence led by Xi is weakening, extremists’ influence is increasing. Moderates follow Deng Xiaoping idea of opening China market and capitalism. Extremists want tight control by CPC. Recent policies seem to favor the latter. It means Xi is under pressure from extremists. So is not the right time to increase exposure.

I think we need to re-evaluate everything in light of the new Cold War. Overtime China will develop its own semis. They just have to. There’s report today ARM will also stop doing business with Huawei. It’s a top-to-bottom 360-degree war against Chinese tech companies. There’s even a call to delist all Chinese companies from American stock exchanges.

I wouldn’t leave the Asian bubbles of the West Coast. If history is any guide, we Asians will be increasingly looked upon suspiciously. Austin is a liberal town, but surrounded by red neck country.

Austin downtown is a liberal town… mostly whites stay there. Northern suburbs are diversified. You seem to always forget.

Started since 2 years ago. You are sleeping. Trump administration has been doing many things targeting the Chinese community. The issue is whether the future Democrat presidents are able to contain or reverse the monster that Trump has unleashed. @harriet voted for Trump :scream:

You better don’t travel too far away from Austin. :scream:

I already don’t. When going through customs, Singapore passport is better than an American passport. Worse is a China passport.

Red necks don’t care you are from Singapore. You look like a Chinese and that’s all matters to them. McCarthyism 2.0.