Buying SFH in Discovery Bay (Contra Costa county) for primary residence

Hi, can anyone explain the pros and cons of buying SFH in Discovery Bay? I have permanent remote work so no need to commute at least till I switch jobs. Live with gf and both aged 30’s. Thanks!

Just sold my house in Discovery Bay at a loss after 13 years. If you are into boating get a waterfront house near fast water. The good ones are $1m plus. Golf course houses are half that price. Plus you can rent dock space cheap. Join the yacht club. Buy a wake surf boat and jet skis. I love the delta lifestyle. 160 marinas. 1000 miles of water ways. 75 miles by water to SF. 90 degrees 3 months a year.

1 Like

thank you. My budget is within 650k. May I know the reason for selling at loss?

Bought in 2007 near the top. Sold for $700k. Probably the crappiest waterfront in Discovery Bay. Lots of potential, 16000 sf flat lot. Not a levy cliffhanger. 1700 sf 4/2 with a boathouse. Sold off market to a contractor.

1 Like

Discovery bay is hot too now

1 Like

Schools are bad there aren’t they?

Schools are bad everywhere in California except Cupertino and PA

1 Like

any advantage selling off market vs mls listing? I know some celebrities sell off market to be discreet.

Sold to a friend. Had a tenant. Needs a lot of work. Best price on MLS but you need to fix up for sale

1 Like

so it’s pretty safe neighborhood right? not just the houses near water front but Discovery Bay as a whole.

It is small community. Seems safe to me. Just not much there. Couple of restaurants. Safeway. Not even a hardware store. Have to go to Brentwood or Stockton for a lot of things.

1 Like

@Elt1 any idea on realtors covering brentwood, discovery bay doing rebate? Thanks!

I think most realtors will rebate. But it depends on the deal. I like working with Cynthia +1 (209) 914-3360

thank you very much

huh? Pleasanton and Danville both have 10 rated elementary - HS…

1 Like

I did a short check about schools. South Bay has a concentration of many very good schools. Other places do have them but are not as concentrated. For example, Austin also has 10 Primary/ Middle/ High schools but are spread all over. You would be hard pressed to find a neighborhood in Austin with 10/10/10 schools.

I don’t have kids but from what I see, don’t know these ratings are good indicators. For ex, in south bay many parents pressure/ torture kids to study well and is reflected in the rating. Is this the right way of education and also is it fair to blindly look at rating alone?

2 Likes

Good points, but what is another objective way to arrive at conclusions about schools?

1 Like

I am not sure. May be check teacher/ student ratio, achievements apart from pure grades etc.

1 Like

Paging @Terri if she has any views on this?

1 Like