CA Prop 10

How can it hurt if you raise rent to market prior to prop 10? You’ll forever lose that right

Just because the cities can impose rules, does not mean they will. There are so many other states with no restrictions on rent control laws. Are their rent control policies this draconian?

1 Like

If every landlord panics and starts gouging rents, Prop 10 will pass. I raise empty units to market and existing tenants 5% on average.

1 Like

We need to pay russia/china to hire some russian/china bots on social media on this issue since they’re so expert on this issue, probably can generate a million tweets a day on how bad prop 10 is.

3 Likes

In MTV they rolled rents back to a period >1 year prior.

https://www.mountainview.gov/depts/comdev/preservation/rentstabilization.asp

“Covered Rental Units must roll back rents to the Base Rent (the rent in effect on October 19, 2015) as per December 23, 2016. For tenancies starting after October 19, 2015, the Base Rent is the rent initially paid by the tenant upon start of tenancy.”

Their intention was to cancel all the rent increases happened during the rent control bill consideration. So it could be too late to raise rent now, might as well not to increas and hope that Prop 10 will fail.

1 Like

1031 quickly to non rent control neighborhoods. Btw, I don’t have any rent control by design.

Mtv rolled back rents to a year or two’s levels.

If cities decide to treat rentals as utilities then landlords should be guaranteed the same return as PGE.

1 Like

I feel safe in Eldorado County. 75% homeownership

Rock Rib Republicans and NRA members. No progressives allowed.

The try to limit Ellis Act evictions as well… :slight_smile:

https://www.citywatchla.com/index.php/2016-01-01-13-17-00/los-angeles/15884-la-loses-5-rent-control-units-a-day-because-of-the-heartless-ellis-act

Los Angeles is the origin of Prop 10. Be careful of LA

1 Like

LA has the highest poverty rate (per county, in CA).
Santa Cruz has the second highest.

That motivates activists… and voters.

1 Like

Poverty rate is misleading. There are plenty of poorer counties like Lake county

If we had a more robust Section 8 program, tenants can better afford housing and landlords won’t be put on the guillotine. It’s like the state doesn’t provide welfare so private citizens were made to provide for the poor instead.

The best solution is still to build more. But we build a huge tangled mess with too many competing interests interlocked. Yes, Prop 13 is the source of all evil.

Prop 10 = Housing Freeze

Government is the source of all evil. PROP13 was a response to over spending and over taxation. My parents property tax was $5k on a $180k home in 1978 .,Prop 13 reduced their tax by 2/3… people were losing their homes…government will take everything you have if not stopped

3 Likes

Good to see those 1978 numbers. Not all of us have been here in 1978. In fact, you may be the only one.

2 Likes

People don’t mind being poor if everyone else around them is equally poor. To them, that’s just normal or average. It’s when you have massive inequality that people get politically active about taking from the rich.

2 Likes