Oregon property tax: 8 times better than Prop 13

In Oregon, every, every property owner pays property tax based on 1995 value minus 10% with 3% annual increase. This is the paradise for property tax. Given enough time and high appreciation, property tax will be essentially repealed over many years.

When can we have everyone’s tax bill indexed to 1978 value? Prop 13 missed out the new buyers.

In 1997 measure 50 was passed. This is Oregon’s current property tax law and it completely changed the way taxes are calculated.
Measure 50 calculates property taxes by taking the 1995 value of your home, subtracting 10 percent, and then adding 3 percent per year until the present. The number created is called the home’s Maximum Assessed Value (MAV).
1995 value of home – 10% + 3$/year = MAV
If you have a new home with no ‘95 value, your home’s MAV is calculated using other similar properties in the same county. The 3 percent increase per year still applies.
The basic premise of the law is that your property’s value will rise faster than its MAV, thus generating lower taxes.

So it doesn’t adjust when you sell? crazy?

1 Like

No, sale does not change property tax.

If you buy a new house today for 600k and a comparable home nearby is taxed at 150k, your tax base would be 150k as well.

Oregon people love low tax. I think we misjudged Oregonians

Here is the history how Oregon people reduced their property tax through 3 ballot measures. Oregon people are actually conservatives in terms of tax.

This is the best counter example to show those Prop 13 haters. Home appreciation has nothing to do with Prop 13. Property tax can be zero.

Timeline for property taxes from 1990 to now:

Until 1990, property taxes in Oregon were calculated as they are in most of the country, via a percentage of the market value of your home. Oregonians thought this was too high.

In 1990, Measure 5 was passed in an attempt to lower taxes.
Measure 5 capped property taxes at 1.5% of the property’s market value. As property values began to climb, this cap still wasn’t enough. Taxes became too high once again.
In 1997 measure 50 was passed. This is Oregon’s current property tax law and it completely changed the way taxes are calculated.
Measure 50 calculates property taxes by taking the 1995 value of your home, subtracting 10 percent, and then adding 3 percent per year until the present. The number created is called the home’s Maximum Assessed Value (MAV).
1995 value of home – 10% + 3$/year = MAV

Property tax should be eliminated like in Mexico and Russia and many other countries

1 Like

Does oregon even have 3% appreciation rate compound?

Maybe why they are crappy countries like Mexico and Russia.

Portland and Seattle appreciation is similar. Over the long term, California home price appreciation is only slightly faster. We have dramatic ups and downs.

I like Portland but worried about rains which could cause too much damage to the house.

Zero property tax, reasonable sales tax and reasonable income tax is what I would propose. Oregon really understands me.

How about Monaco Malta and Figi?

Hong Kong, Singapore, China all have zero or very low property tax.

I don’t understand why some property owners are in deep love with property tax. What a brain wash job. It reminds me of some kind of syndrome :hugs:, falling in love with your kidnappers

from loving prop 13 to let’s remove all property tax, in 3 seconds.

1 Like

Get rid of cap gains taxes too. Inflation means it’s a tax on a tax

Somalia has no tax, and no government either.

1 Like

Yeah. Why tax when we can do without it? We are all brain washed in various degree

you should change your logo. Yes on Oregon!

1 Like

Property taxes are only low on primary residential in Singapore. You pay taxes pegged to market rate rental for 2nd and later properties

2 Likes

How much do you pay on a $2M rental property or second home? How much on promaru home?

Majority is primary home, maybe 95%?

Is your DMV registration fee higher than primary home property tax in Singapore?

Propoganda has kept the Oregon property tax secret from us. If I did not accidentally bump into it, we would never know this excellent option.

Next time when someone makes hate speech against Prop 13, let him go to Oregon to learn how property tax works

It’s the outside forces. maybe russia or china.

1 Like

Maybe it’s russia again. Russians secretly wish a higher property tax to destroy our democracy.

China might secretly wish a higher property tax will increase our cost and make American goods less competitive

I follow a Portland RE agent on Facebook. Cap rate is similar to what @hanera post on his in Austin.