California Burning

We’ll never be able to grow back the century old trees, but I don’t get why she doesn’t say the obvious - log the “smaller” trees for the houses that already burnt down and reduce the cost of housing. She says humans can’t solve this on their own, but it seems like people used to log at a pretty tremendous speed and could do it again if asked.

1 Like

Hypocrites. Humans cannot solve a problem, but the “Environmentalists” and “Climate Experts” somehow can.

2 Likes

And isn’t the price of wood absolutely insane right now???

1 Like

How could this affect my monthly bill?

ELECTRIC RATES:
Based on rates currently in effect, the bill for a typical non-CARE bundled residential customer using 500 kilowatt-hours per month would increase from $138.86 to $164.05 or 18.1% if the GRC is approved as filed.

GAS RATES:

Based on rates currently in effect, the gas bill for a typical residential non-CARE customer averaging 33 therms per month of gas usage would increase from $59.92 to $70.73, or 18%. Actual impacts will vary depending on usage.

If approved by the CPUC, PG&E’s request would result in a revenue increase of approximately $3.56 billion for 2023 and additional increases of $930 million (2024), $590 million (2025), and $381 million (2026).

1 Like

Interesting that they didn’t mention sprinklers.

They isolated the data for California to see what effect the implementation of improved building codes had. The Golden State imposed stricter building codes — first in 1991 and then in 2008 — that required such elements as fire-resistant exterior siding, windows and doors and mesh-covered vents to prevent embers from entering homes.

These don’t seem that bad. Especially the mesh-covered vents which prevent rodents from getting in as well.

“The utility now sees the undergrounding of wires, once viewed asprohibitively expensive, as more cost-effective than allowing its equipment to keep starting fires.”

How come overhead poles don’t start massive fires everywhere else - even in more flammable areas?

1 Like

Electricity costs is going to keep increasing in CA.

We love paying higher prices for inferior services/products.

3 Likes

Inferior?

You knew what I meant! Cut me some slack :rofl:

At least in rural areas. Lots of outages these days. Like, every time the wind blows.

1 Like

Salt water desalination is making a secondary market for sea salt, which was unheard of a few years ago. I don’t know if there are any other negative environmental consequences to desalination and they probably don’t sell enough sea salt to balance out what they produce.

1 Like

Can you blame them? Our grid is :poop:.

Frustrated With Utilities, Some Californians Are Leaving the Grid

Citing more blackouts, wildfires and higher electricity rates, a growing number of homeowners are choosing to build homes that run entirely on solar panels and batteries.