California Needs a Housing Revolution

Pitchforks are coming. :scream:

2 Likes

Work means? Should at least slowdown the rate of appreciation.

High density houses will reduce quality of life. Which means people who want superior products will not want to live in those areas. If they reduce quality of product to very low, they may not find any buyers. TATA motors came out with a car for poor people. It was such a numbed down car that no one wanted to buy. Poor quality homes may go same way if the living area and dwelling make it difficult to live.

The homeless problem can be solved by SB640. Basically forced institutionalization.

https://moorlach.cssrc.us/content/senate-bill-640-mental-health-services-gravely-disabled

Heard of Penthouse and rooftop garden?
Have you been to top of high rise buildings and look out of the windows? Those that have ocean/lake view?

Seen several of those. Artificial gardens and views from the top of several floors are no replacement for a nice single-family home with a decent sized yard.

The view from tall buildings are only available till an even taller building does not come around.

6 Min later: Skyscrapers have fallen out of favor in the western world because of the issues they present: moving people and freight across the floors, utilities, fire hazard, and availability of surplus land in USA. That is why WTC New York was just replaced with one tower. There was a race for building the tallest skyscraper in 1920 and 1930 in New York. But, they soon realized these tall buildings are not that much useful. The last tallest building to be build was Sears Tower in Chicago (1973) till the two of fallen towers were replace by one in New Your city post 2001.

Which recently erected tower in San Francisco is it that is build on poor foundation and has already begin sinking and leaning?

You assume everybody like yard :slight_smile: Yuppies hate yards! To be rude about it, only those from country side love them. We call them Kampong guys. Condos has resort style living where you don’t have to do any of those yard work. You live like royals and always on vacation feeling. There are also long term leased condos where you don’t even need to do household chores!

I posted this after you replied:

Skyscrapers have fallen out of favor in the western world because of the issues they present: moving people and freight across the floors, utilities, fire hazard, and no lack of surplus land in USA. That is why WTC New York was just replaced with one tower. There was a race for building the tallest skyscraper in 1920 and 1930 in New York. But, they soon realized these tall buildings are not that much useful. The last tallest building to be build was Sears Tower in Chicago (1973) till the two of fallen towers were replaced by one in New Your city post 2001.

Which recently erected tower in San Francisco is it that is build on poor foundation and has already begin sinking and leaning?

You are right on. In many ways I think like a country side ( or rural, rustic, idyllic) person. I lack the sophistication and tastes of the urbanites and the city dwellers.

American like having a yard for their kids. Only Chicago and NYC really havevery many high rises. Europe has barely any. The BA needs to build up to 6 story mid rise buildings. More efficient housing solution

We need a countermagnet to bay area. No more overfilling bay area.

I did my part, I left. Many boomers will leave in the next 30 years. But millennials and gen y-z out number them.

Can we say this? Greedy builders destroy neighborhoods just as greed bankers wreck havoc on economic system.

No. Get that thinking out of here.

1 Like

My opinions have been formed after seeing how some buildings were approved through city hall.

California Homebuilders Rush to Get Ahead of Solar Mandate

• State housing permit data shows big jump in November, December

• Requirement may add $9,500 to home prices in the costly state

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-07/california-homebuilders-rush-to-get-ahead-of-new-solar-mandate?srnd=premium

Me2. Got to leave BARE to millennial wannabes like @manch :scream:

It is truly ridiculous to keep adding costs to new construction during an extreme housing shortage.

1 Like