CAR FINANCE: Make sense to buy extended warranty for a car?

Ok, was hoping you may have an out… (happy wife, happy life again)

1 Like

Timely thread, sold the last of my tsla stock this morning having bought at 36 after the launch of the model S. Still love what they’re doing but seeing a few too many red flags.

German cars aren’t that bad if you have a good mechanic. If you’re the type of person who has service done at the dealer, stick with Japanese or Korean.

1 Like

Just sell it and buy a toyota, i never worry about warranty on a toyota

My famous last words too. Problem? Parts weren’t exactly cheap either (even with mechanic discount) and I didn’t like to exactly visit the “good mechanic” that much…

That’s a real bummer to hear. My bro just got his 2 weeks ago. So far, no trouble.

Good luck with everything!

Which brand+year? How old? How many miles?

Mercedes Benz SL 500 Designo Edition; Over 10 years old. Ave miles.

1 Like

A couple of things that were notoriously bad about this car was:

1. the ABC suspension system. POS. It was soo good that after market companies made conversion kits to normal shock/string setup. Too many gimmicks simply mean expensive repair bills later.

2. tire wear. Man, the tires for this car were ridiculously expensive. I think they were Michelin Pilots or some variation of them and boy they were expensive. Why put tires meant for Corvettes or higher on this? Cuz this baby, while not the lightest car in the world, could fly. When I received a speeding ticket coming back from the Dumbarton Bridge at about 90-100 mph that was the last straw with this car. Honestly, because there was no one around me at that hour and the car was just tuned, I simply did not know I was going that fast because the car was soooo smooth.

Now, why did I fall for this beauty when I really should have known better? Well, frankly the money for it was free (I left an employer and my vacation balance was big enough to buy a fun ride after a rough last year with a horrible boss). The seller took me for a ride around the Fab 7x7 with the top down and I was smitten. Fell for a great pair of legs again…

While I probably wouldn’t dip my toes into the German car market again, I def would go for a vintage Acura NSX. Imagine a dependable Ferrari for everyday driving.

1 Like

I have owned 4 TOYOTAs never had a problem.
4Runner has 170k miles no issues should go to 400k miles

2 Likes

Guess what I bought when I sold the POS??? Exactly, same car (SUV). I had always liked the Sports Edition of the 4Runner due to the styling (hood scoop, running boards, roof rails). At the end of the day, who do I need to impress? No one. My wife actually likes my ride a lot. We sit up high and it has the optional leather seats. She always said that for a big guy I should be driving a manly truck or SUV. Ok…

toyota/honda are the best
i’ve owned corolla gts/integra/civic/s2000/prius/camry all solid with minimal problems
others brands i owned, not so much. always have problems. my worse one is the rx7 turbo. car in the shop more than drive and i have to fill gas everyday

Which generation? Loved that car. Problem was that eventually when the rotary engine went, it really went…

10th anniversary one, FC. burn oil like hell, going to san jose work, i have to fill out gas every single day
in shop every other month.

Yeah, we guys mostly are suckers for cool cars. What can you do?

park in the garage and let wife use to dry clothes on the hood =)

1 Like

Used own cool cars now prefer reliable cars. Actually my new Highlander is the best car I ever owned. Looks pretty cool, practical as a mini van, seats 7
Drives way smoother than a 4Runner, has more room and much better mileage.

Yeah, I don’t know what it is with you rich cats and Highlanders. My VP, granted has kids, owns a Highlander when he could drive anything. The thing is, I don’t need more room and I do like the sporty styling of the Sport Edition. Yes, gas mileage could be better. I have heard that people are converting old gas cars to electric because well they like the old styling but want the benefits of electric power. I would consider doing that.

Image chasing is for young guys. I just want reliable convenient transportation. Don’t need a garage queen. I have boat. Don’t need any other headaches.
The 4Runner is now my work truck and tow vehicle. Will tow 7000#

For me it was not about image at all and don’t care about it.

I actually traded in my 3 year old Acura TLX(bought new) for a massive 42% depreciation for the A4 . The TLX made me miserable when I drove it(apologies to any TLX owners here). The earlier version, 2012-2014 Acura TL is more like my type of car although it’s looks are not palatable to some people.

The A4 makes me grin ear to ear on twisty roads, is extremely comfortable on normal roads and freeways without being floaty and the most reliable among the German cars. In the initial days I used to hit 95 on the freeways without realizing it because it is so quiet and composed on the roads. Now, I have set up a warning which alerts me if I hit 90. In fact according to my wife’s delight - “I enjoy driving to get groceries now”:slight_smile:

Traffic has made performance cars obsolete. Aren’t many twisty roads left for fun motoring