CAR FINANCE: Make sense to buy extended warranty for a car?

German “luxury” car(hence probably repair costs higher). 1st year model after major redesign.
Does it make sense to buy an extended warranty? Cost is almost 7% of MSRP. OR is it just a waste of money?

Statistically I think… I lose(if I buy the warranty)?

First things first, what did you buy???:grinning::grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Bought 1 year back. Now, I’m slightly concerned about possible long term costs(after warranty). Have always owned Japanese cars before.

Audi A4 Quattro

1 Like

How much original warranty is left? If you’re at the end of the original warranty and haven’t had any problems, then I wouldn’t be worried. If you’ve had some warranty repairs, then I’d buy the extended one. The price seems pretty high. You can always try to negotiate it down.

1 Like

Gernan cars are not meant to be kept after the warranty period :smiley:

Starting to learn Teslas are not meant to be kept during the warranty period either :frowning:

3 Likes

3 years of original warranty left. No problems so far.

For a 10 year 120K miles. This is already negotiated down… :slight_smile: original price quoted was @11% of MSRP!! :astonished:

That’s not bad for 10/120k. I was thinking 6/75k. If you haven’t had any problems yet and stick to your maintenance schedule, then I wouldn’t pay for it. You still have 3 years to decide.

1 Like

This I’m hearing from many car experts/online car reviewers.

Not a car person - was gonna ask whether your friendly neighbor is still around but realized that would be covered under your comprehensive auto coverage :slight_smile:

He loves me, he got both a carrot and a stick & can’t make up his mind which feels better :slight_smile: so not worried on that.

1 Like

+1

The thing is, and it is not exclusive to German cars, but after warranty period you are talking the range of 100K+ miles. Sure, even Japanese cars, things def start breaking down. Let’s be quite frank, Hondas and Toyotas are not like they used to be (made in Japan). Suspension, electronics… I def will not buy another German car unless new and under warranty.

1 Like

So I have had Japanese cars for 17 years. As I was explaining to the Tesla service rep earlier, my model 3 has spent more time in the shop in 6 months then my Japanese cars have in 17 years.

4 Likes

Shoot, drove my 1991 Honda CRX yesterday for a decent long drive and it was fine…

Hopefully you get a comparative loaner when it is in shop!

That sucks. What is wrong with it?

Where do I start?

Computer replaced
Panels popping off
Alignment shot
Drive train burned out

OMG, seriously???

Yep. Wifey who was never a fan of Tesla in the first place is furious. I am pushing them to swap my car

Now, lemon laws are in effect, no???

That’s for buyback and i think it needs to hit 30 days in the shop? not there yet.

1 Like