Case Shiller May 2017

Having gained 1.5 percent in April, the S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller Index for single-family home values within the San Francisco Metropolitan Area – which includes the East Bay, North Bay and Peninsula – inched up 0.5 percent in May and the index for area condos gained 0.8 percent, lifting each index to new highs.

With May’s gain, the index for single-family home values is now running 5.4 percent higher versus the same time last year, driven by outsized gains at the lower end of the market.

Having gained 1.1 percent in May, the index for the bottom third of the Bay Area market is running 10.2 higher versus the same time last year. The index for the middle third of the market is running 5.6 percent higher versus the same time last year having ticked up 1.0 percent in May. And the index for the top third of the market is running 3.8 percent higher versus the same time last year having slipped 0.1 percent in May.

1 Like

Cheap area is where the action is now. What do you prefer to buy?

I am not buying anything this year. But I am very interested in the better parts of San Leandro. Newark seems to be gone as prices are too high to make rental numbers work, but I’d still take a hard look there.

Actually San Francisco townhouses are worth a look too. Prices are high, but rents are even higher.

What’s a SF townhouse? I did not see any. Do you mean the attached SFR?

Are you going to break your promise of one house every year?

Just go on Redfin and search just townhouses. You will see a lot.

One house per year is my lofty goal. It’s never a promise.