Changes in tax deductions for SALT and mortgage interest for 2018

No one knows the future, but we assume it is going to be same or better…

1 Like

Just checking: Are depreciation, rental mortgage, rental interest, and rental property tax a separate deduction from the personal itemization/SALT cap?

They are schedule E, so they are separate. You can claim standard deduction and still use schedule E. Standard deduction only applies to itemization on schedule A.

2 Likes

Just checking, but is this chart roughly correct?

Assumes a top tax rate of 48% and the Rental vs. Owner side is 40%/60% (column H)

How are the owner and rental side costs so different? It’s a duplex. Shouldn’t the cost of each be equal? For depreciation, you can only deduction the value of the structure not the land. The land is a pretty high percent of the value in the bay area which makes the deprecation deduction less.

1 Like

I’m assuming a 3/2 1800 sq ft owner side and a 2/1 1200ish sq ft rental side.

[Edit: Original rent data was based on a 3/2 and 3/1, so yes, rents should be a bit lower for a 2/1]

How does one determine the value of the structure?

It’s part of the assessment from the county on the property tax bill.

1 Like

Can I assume 20% of the value, or would it be lower?

20% is a fair estimate for housing here in the bay area. For condos/townhouses it’s 50% is the rule of thumb.

1 Like

for the place i bought in sunnyvale last year it came out to this. Annoyed me no end. They appraised the structural value as being relatively unchanged in the last 10 years (from previous owner to myself) and loaded all appreciation into the land value. This caused a hit on my depreciable value :frowning:

2 Likes

Ok. So how does this look? 3/2 1800 sq ft owner vs. 2/1 1200 sq ft rental. I lowered the rent a bit. Are you able to take the full deduction for expenses on the rental side, or do you only take a tax deduction up to the rent you get?

You take full deductions and carry forward the loss for later. Where are property taxes? You probably can’t deduct the owner side due to SALT limit, but you can deduct them for the renter side.

Oh hrm… :confused:

I think I forgot them.

So essentially the higher rent is better from two aspects: I can deduct more off my taxes and there’s more money to pay the mortgage…

1 Like

Collecting higher rent is always better even if you have to pay some taxes on the profits.

2 Likes

Can you aggregate all the loss for a rental over the years and reduce the income when you sell for a profit down the road? can the losses in schedule E be offset with your Stock gains for same year?

I think you can offset against the profit when you sell. You can’t offset against stock gains. I’d definitely check with a CPA on those 2 questions.

2 Likes

Aggregate losses on a rental is the normal course for offsetting capital gains on a property sale.

Stocks gains are not allowed for offsetting losses for rentals.

Here’s a reference -

3 Likes

So it would make all the sense to show losses on rentals while paying off primary (or invest elsewhere). One more: Can we take the loss on one and offset a gain on others (rentals)?

I believe the answer is yes to this one b/c all the passive income gain/loss rolls up together on schedule E. Best to consult a CPA.

2 Likes