College-entrance Bribery Scheme. The Failed American Education System

For people making 500K a year why shouldn’t Facebook demand more out of them?

You and BAGB love to make outrageous remarks that don’t really mean it.

1 Like

Well I mean it. Facebook pays people above market, so they have the right to demand more out of their employees.

So now the job description is you have to be both a good engineer and help solve social issues. Pay is high. If you can’t do it there are others who can.

As long as it’s on company time.

Otherwise it’s discriminatory against parents.

1 Like

True.

And I don’t think anyone would argue against diversity and extracurriculars. The question is why a candidate with significantly lower academics and higher sports ability should be admitted to an academic program.

2 Likes

Because sports programs are huge money makers. It’s not just ticket sales. The alumni donation is much more important. Think football programs in Midwest big 10 schools like Nebraska. Americans are crazy about sports and school sports programs are huge boosters of school brands.

Talking about past achievements. IMHO, their education system is screwed. The only thing operating well is the private sector. Steve Jobs, Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates… dropped out of the silly college system. Steve Wozniak was kicked out of the college (can’t remember name).

Those are done by PhDs and professors. Not the bachelor degrees. Their post-graduate system is good. K-12 and bachelor degree so-so.

Is a major cause of couch potatoes! Should have a campaign to stop this craze.

1 Like

Even W graduated from Yale. College isn’t that tough. Graduating is good for that vast majority. A few dropouts did well. I bet the vast majority didn’t do as well as if they had gotten a degree.

For every famous dropout there are millions upon millions who did very well after finishing college. Worshipping lack of education is shortsighted and wrong, morally and statistically.

So dramatic for what? Are we on a show?

1 Like

Well I tend to be more dramatic while drinking coffee. Don’t you see the logical flaw in generalizing from 3 sample points: Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Mark Zuckerberg, and usually the only 3 who get mentioned, into saying “their education system is screwed”? Bezos has a degree. Buffett went to business school. Munger went to law school. Even Thiel who famously said young people should not go to college has a law degree from Stanford. On and on and on.

1 Like

Harvard has the largest endowment. How good are their sports teams? Big donations come from having successful alumni.

NCAA data says athletic departments lose money.

1 Like

Question is now: Is it or isn’t it? If someone’s losing $150M on a sports program did they make that back in alumni donations…?

1 Like

Harvard and Yale have a rivalry, but they’re not top-tier football teams. I think it’s more an Ivy League. Pun intended.

This is like assessing the effectiveness of advertisement. Without the sports teams, would Harvard still get those big donations? Would image of Harvard be less shiny such that less bright and/or rich kids would attend hence lower donations? Dare to take the risk of not advertising after advertising for so long?

1 Like

Yeah. Harvard doesn’t get donations because of their football team.

Notre Dame might though.

Not referring to donations directly associated to football team. Is the same donations cited by marcus.

Yes, because people hire Harvard grads because their xyz sports team is great. It has nothing to do with the admissions standards, academic standards, Nobel prize winning faculty, or successful alumni. If sports was the key, all the tech companies would be racing to hire Clemson and Alabama graduates.

Harvard sports teams are rarely on TV.

1 Like

Sports is a crime prevention scheme. We should support it.

If someone can invent a sports or computer game to make all the violent criminals exhausted, we can give him or her a Nobel Peace Prize :rofl:

Or we can have a criminal drug welfare, providing free and unlimited marijuana to violent criminals. Let the law abiding people working hard and provide free recreational drugs to criminals so they they forget to commit crimes against good people.

I have to be honest, but football stars don’t exactly have a good track record for behavior…

1 Like