College-entrance Bribery Scheme. The Failed American Education System

This is like telling women it is totally fine not to find a career in high tech companies. Many women do well in teaching jobs without the extra stress and discrimination in high tech companies. :rofl:

Many think that’s right, but many more don’t.

2 Likes

We have plenty of college graduates, and plenty of colleges, plenty of college space. I think 30% of the people have no need to go to college, they should learn some more suitable and more practical trade or other skills without an expensive college education

Also favoring both the rich and the poor, but punishing the middle class is not a good policy.

When applying to San Jose State University, it’s important to note the application deadline is Nov. 30. The application fee at San Jose State University is $55. Scores for either the ACT or SAT test are due Dec. 23. It is selective, with an acceptance rate of 67 percent.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/san-jose-state-university-1155

67% acceptance rate is very generous. The 33% of the kids rejected are below average.

2 Likes

Which School Has Most Fortune 500 CEOs?: Not Harvard – It’s Wisconsin

https://chiefexecutive.net/fortune-500-ceos-wisconsin/

@manch has high hope for his daughters, plan to send them to Universities that have the highest probability to meet the next billionaires.

In addition to wanting their kids to have respected careers, most parents need bragging rights. This kind of relates to the other article I posted about kids not necessarily bringing happiness to their parents’ lives. When your kid doesn’t turn out the way you molded them to be you get frustrated and feel ashamed. Pets have it easier than kids.

This is pretty useless rank. UW is a public scho and most of its students are in-state students. The result just shows that Wisconsin residents are more likely to be a CEO than other students. Maybe because of its weather, its work ethic, or its racial profile.

I guess that Midwest produces more ceos for big corp.

SJSU acceptance rate is only 10% more than UW

I can tell you are the parent of high school kid here. :slightly_smiling_face:

So far, UCR,UCSB and UCD results are out and many kids with nearly perfect GPA (who applied for CS) got wailisted at UCSB and UCD.

I know one kid who got only accepeted by Santa Clara Unuversity CS program so far. His GPA was 4.7.

CS is hot hot hot this year.

1 Like

Hmm, does the second choice major help them to get into UC? Why don’t they have a second choice major such as mechanical engineering or environmental science or political science? You can always take CS classes.

I think UC is doing AA through school distributions. If those students went to a high school in Tracy or Oakland, they would become top student at the school and be admitted easily

CS major is very difficult to get into for all UCs :slight_smile: and SJSU too for many years. Everybody want to earn a SWE salary.

1 Like

Students are becoming pragmatic now. Seems that they want to make big bucks

1 Like

W2? Slaving for the geniuses? Go start a business and employ those smart but not eloquent SWEs, learn from Jack Ma!

Yeah, major in business and take a few CS classes to find the genius to partner with

2 Likes

not the same thing, nice try though.

1 Like

Kid who can’t deal with sauce on her food… :roll_eyes:

Do we? Last I heard they reduced the guarantee of entry to a UC to the top 5% of the public school cohort–and it’s not the UC of your choice, it’s a UC of their choice.

That hardly sounds like we’re helping anyone who is “average”.

1 Like

It’s more common than you think.

I thought at schools like Berkeley, that these classes were restricted. Lotteries for whatever remaining spots there might be.

MIT doesn’t have legacy admission?