College grads sell stakes in themselves to Wall Street

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-04-09/college-grads-sell-stakes-in-themselves-to-wall-street

Instead of taking out loans, students can agree to hand over part of their future earnings in return for investment.

To pay for college, Amy Wroblewski sold a piece of her future. Every month, for eight-and-a-half years, she must turn over a set percentage of her salary to investors. Today, about a year after graduation, Wroblewski makes $50,000 a year as a higher education recruiter in Winchester, Va. So the cut comes to $279 a month, less than her car payment.

If the 23-year-old becomes a star in her field, she could pay twice as much. If she loses her job, she won’t have to pay anything, and investors will be out of luck until she finds work.

Moons ago, jokingly said that I would invest in future earnings of SWEs, not any degrees :slight_smile: Any CS majors selling themselves?

Vernon Davis, tight end for San Francisco, did that with his career football earnings. I don’t think his investors made their money back, but it had more to do with not having an accurate passer throwing to him than his skills.

Oh, I heard this story from NPR indicator.
Sounds like a good option for students.

How do they know the student will seek to maximize their income? They could decide to go to grad school, work for a non-profit, or all sorts of choices that don’t maximize their earnings.

1 Like

How do people know the company will seek to maximize their profit?
I guess this concept is similar to stock.

A noble way of looking at this is we sponsor enterprising students.

That’s just the same as how companies finance themselves. They can either finance via debt or via equity.

Students who choose this way of financing won’t be majoring in hot money making majors like CS. Equity will be a very pricey way to finance college for CS majors. Kids are not stupid.

1 Like

It smells like high class slavery.

I know someone that represents top end coders and acts as their agent and pimps them out for jobs, like in sports.

1 Like

Can’t forget the had you the first time ex-married woman?