Considerations to make before adding studio over garage

​Hello,

I have a 1963 built single story ranch style house, being used as my primary residence, in Dublin, CA. As a supplemental income I am thinking of building a studio over garage and renting it out as a long term rental or through Airbnb.

My questions are:

1. ​Would it make more sense to build entire second floor vs building a studio over garage?
  2. Would it be cost effective to have separate utility connection (electricity & water bill) for the second floor?
  3. Besides general contractors, is there any place online that would help me understand the entire process and potentially give me ballpark estimate?
  4. If someone has gone through this process, what are some of the gotchas I should consider?
  5. What other considerations I should make?

Thanks in advance for your response.

There are definitely experts there that’ll chime in. One thing is if the foundation can support a second story. If not, then you’re looking at upgrades. Also, your neighbors will get a chance to voice displeasure over you adding a 2nd story. Are there other 2 story homes in your neighborhood?

Figure your costs and time then double it…Then maybe you will be close to the final numbers…In addition to the foundation the existing walls will all have to be clad in plywood for seismic reinforcement…

1 Like

And depending on the city you are in, fire sprinklers…

Check out this link blog.newavenuehomes.com/index.php/2014/09/23/what-are-the-true-costs-of-an-accessory-dwelling/.

Cost effective for an additional connection for utilities? No. In the long run it might pay, but you need to sort out where the break even is.

If you end up meeting with the New Avenue guys, report back.

1 Like

Second unit may not be legal… Check zoning