Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 Covid-19

From the Disease Control professionals.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/children/protect-children.html

Limit time with other children

If children meet in groups, it can put everyone at risk. Children can pass this virus onto others who have an increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19.

And children can then pass it on to parents. Small kids also donā€™t have the best hygiene even in the best of times. It will be a gigantic virus incubation lab.

1 Like

ok so is your proposal then no school for the next several years? Because a vaccine isnā€™t going to come out anytime soon and even if it does the risk will never be 0%. Remote working is sustainable long term, remote school is not.

3 Likes

While you guys are debating, stock market is happy that re-opening would be stalled.

No, offices and schools donā€™t need to stay closed until vaccines come out. Look at what Asia does. Offices and schools are open without vaccine.

Prerequisite of reopening should be that spread of Covid is suppressed. This is the latest Rt chart:

https://rt.live/

Zooming in onto California:

We canā€™t reopen until we get Rt back below 1.0. We canā€™t pretend life is normal while the building is still burning. First order of business is to get the fire under control, at least not having it spread much further.

I just honestly donā€™t think weā€™ll ever get there is the issueā€¦especially with every county/state doing something different and lack of mask wearing

1 Like

we also donā€™t have governments like in Asia where people are OK with excessive contact tracing, limitations.

1 Like

I think Americans will be OK with limitations if we have competent leadership from the top. Italiansā€™ lockdowns were much stricter than ours. If Asia is A-student, then Europe is B. We are getting big effing F. We can at least get a B like Europe did.

Not Terminated?

More details on issues schools have to deal with. I am sympathetic to parents who want their schools reopen. But I donā€™t think we can make it happen in a safe manner.

This article didnā€™t mention it but I suspect a large number of parents will opt for keeping their kids home while the virus is still running unchecked. It doesnā€™t matter what schoolsā€™ official policy is. What do you do with the say 30% of the kids that stay home? Provide them with online classes? Or just leave them in the cold?

The ones who want to keep their kids at home are the affluent. They will hire some private teacher or something. Itā€™s the others that will fall behind without in person school.

2 Likes

SoCal is not good very bad.

Williamson county has 27% :wink: available hospital beds.

3 Likes

It would be interesting to know what other pre-existing conditions these people already suffered from.

Timely article that summarizes what we know so far about kids and COVID-19. Its a delicate balance thatā€™s best left to local school districts. No one size fits all here.

I am OK for schools to open in the fall but hope they provide the option to choose remote learning for families with high risk group or for families who donā€™t want to take risks.
If such option is provided, we will choose remote learning. My kids are taking online summer classes now and it works pretty well.
On the other hand, I got really stressed out while kids were at school last Feb and March. Too much of sanitizing efforts to put.

In case S.Korea, kids are going to school once every 3 days to keep the number of kids at classroom low. Most of my friends there said that they strongly prefer online classes provided before schools reopened. They are not getting proper education while taking unnecessay risks.

1 Like