Creative geniuses that turn commodity stuffs into billionaire dollar business

Min-Liang Tan: The man in the machine

Singaporean entrepreneur Min-Liang Tan was supposed to be a lawyer. Coming from a “pretty traditional” Asian family, his parents mapped out their expectations for him.

“My mom would say, ‘You know, I think you guys can either be a doctor or a lawyer.’ And, I’ve got my sister who’s a doctor, my other sister’s a lawyer, my brother’s a really well-respected clinician oncologist. He’s super smart. And I did my law degree. So two doctors, two lawyers, go figure, right?” he told CNBC’s “The Brave Ones.”

Now Tan’s worth more than a billion dollars, according to Forbes, but not for practicing law. His gaming hardware company Razer was launched in 2005 on a single product, a computer mouse specifically for gamers. Last year, the San Francisco and Singapore-headquartered company made $517.9 million in revenue and it has a market value of 17.2 billion Hong Kong dollars ($2.2 billion).

1 Like

Turtle Beach CEO Talks ‘Fortnite,’ Battle Royale Gaming: ‘It’s A Great Place To Be’

Turtle Beach is seen as a nearly pure play to invest in the success of "Fortnite,"with the Battle Royale-style free play game driving a huge increase in headset sales.

2 Likes

Why Is Fortnite So Damn Popular — and Will It Last?
Now I Get It: The ‘Fortnite’ craze
How And Why Has ‘Fortnite: Battle Royale’ Blown Up Like This?

“Fortnite” grew to 125 million players less than a year after its launch, its developer, Epic Games, said last month. In February, “Fortnite” hit a peak of 3.4 million simultaneous players, and the company made a record $318 million in May.

Tencent owns 40% of Epic.

2 Likes

You really know stuff. Good. I will buy more Tencent.