Everything About Electric Vehicles

A clusterfuck

The risk is that if carmakers build their own networks, charging will become more atomized than it already is. Globally, there are more than a dozen plug types with at least eight charging speeds, and to access them as easily as tanking up at the local Texaco, Shell, or Kwik-Stop would require multiple subscriptions with various providers. “When you’re traveling farther, you need fast charging,” says Hakan Samuelsson, chief executive officer of Volvo Cars, which introduced its first all-electric car in February. “Unfortunately it’s a bit of a jungle” of different systems today.

Fast charging isn’t even technically possible today. Standardization is only one small issue this whole paradigm faces.

Image if 20 people are in line for a charger that takes 45min. I remember the gas lines in the early 70s. Standardize and soeedup the supercargers. More critical than range capacity.

Why stand in line to wait for a charger when you can just charge at home? Have you ever seen people waiting in line to charge up their smart phone?

1 Like

Can’t charge at home on a long trip. Or if you have only an apartment or if you run out in an emergency. Sorry EVs are still just toys for wealthy urbanites with a garage. A second or third car at best.

All your scenarios are once in a blue moon situations. Call an ambulance!

The keyword in your post is “still”. Things are about to change quickly so get ready for a real revolution :smile:

I’m sure soon California will mandate all apartments to have an EV charger for every parking space. New homes will require it too to go with the solar panels.

1 Like

New apartments maybe. But old apartments in SF no way.

1 Like

So you mean EVs are for wealthy surburanites since they have big driveways and garage. The urbanites live in fancy condos or apartments with limited or no parking.

Long trips… do regular folks really take that many road trips? I haven’t done one in years. Don’t most people fly? It’s super cheap now…

And what’s wrong with a second or third cAr as a commutter or fun car? Plenty of families do that now.

Maybe EV is not for everyone right now but it’s
everything is coming along.

Cheaper Ev cars, faster charging tech , and more charging stations are all coming. Maybe EVs won’t be prime time in the next few years but in the next 5,10, 20 years?

1 Like

20 years maybe. I will be too old too care. AOC will solve everything. All electric mandatory by 2030.

Come on now. The part about the congresswoman is unnecessary.

Anyways, go drive your friends Tesla or something. It’s fun. I know we all love our Toyota and Honda’s here but what’s the point have a lot of money if we don’t burn some.

Glad you’re spending on some fun stuf. Enjoy the boats!

I don’t know shit about climate change or global warming but I love driving electric cars now (only driven the Bolt and Tesla 3. They’re fun and super quiet.

Anyways thanks for the correction on the congresswoman. I forgot she is not a senator.

Are you talking to yourself or did someone delete a post?

Looks like mr elt deleted his post.

EV like the environmental movement is a religion. You either swallow the koolaid or you don’t. Curious how the biggest Tesla promoter on here does not own one.
99% of cars are still ICE. 20 years is a reasonable guess for conversation. But what will the government do with the 250million ICE US vehicles now on the road. Buy backs?
One of my tenants has a 1997 4Runner for sale for $1000. Runs great. How will EVs compete with good cheap used ICE cars that will still be serviceable in 20-40 years.

The whole EV case is for urban drivers. People like AOC who have only lived in big cities have no idea what life is like in rural Red state America. Public transportation and EV cars make no sense in the vast majority of America. Where BTW the f150 pickup rules.

Rotary phones are good and cheap and can be had for less than $10. How can a $500 smartphone compete with that??? Apple needs to go out of business for sure.

That 1997 4Runner will go anywhere while your Tesla will be stuck in the snow or mud. Plus I run my business with
my 2006 4Runner. Can haul 7000#. Can even fit inside a 4x8 sheet of plywood, refrigerators, furniture. Shove that in your Tesla. Cars are abou freedom and convenience. AOC is about state control and repression.

That’s because today’s Tesla is like a cellphone back in the year 2000. Better than a rotary phone but not by much. But I can see where you are coming from since you don’t see yourself living beyond 20 years…

I am for electric cars. I owned a Prius. But ICE vehicles will serve a purpose for the next hundred years. I have driven a 1997 4runner in 3’ ofsnow . It was coming over the hood. There needs to be a sensible and economically reasonable transition.

Um… horse carriages are definitely still of use even after a couple thousand years…