Ex-landlord of new tenant

Hi folks, my new tenant mentioned his reason of moving as ‘landlord selling house’ in the application. When I checked with the landlord, it matched. Also, landlord didn’t give any negative feedback. All other background checks for the new tenants were great including credit score.

Now, I see their old address house is again listed for rent by the same owner. Now I am left wondering what could be the reason? Should I be worried and check again with the previous landlord? Anyone had similar experience? What could the possible reasoning be? Thanks a lot in advance!

Never trust their current landlord. Go back to the landlord before. The current landlord may be trying to rid of the guy.

4 Likes

Thanks…But what would be the need for lying about selling the house to get rid of them. They could have simply chosen to not extend the lease, no?

Is it in a rent controlled city? If no rent control, landlord can simply ask tenant to leave

Who knows. I think it is smart to meet tenants where they live and check out how clean or messy the place is

No, there is no rent control.

Then you don’t need to worry too much. Did the tenant move in already? If they already moved in, you can’t do anything unless they made a mess or until the lease is up

Thanks…yes, they have. so far nothing concerning observed

Is that property listed at higher rent than yours?
Was that property listed for sale then de-listed?
If so, I wouldn’t be concerned.
Otherwise, it seems to me that current landlord tried to get rid of them for whatever reason.

However, another possibility is the landlord tried to put the property in the market then changed his mind.
It could be the case given the market (recent slowdown).

Housing price crashed in South Bay. Maybe that landlord is forced to hold since he can’t sell at a good price