Exurbs are back?

Exurbs? Definition?
Suburb 15-20 miles
… 20-35 miles, Yes.
Exurb 35-45 miles, no.

You are retired. Why not?

Would be an odd balls there.

Only where long commutes are not an issue? i.e. people are forced into exurbs.

It’s bad news for housing market. Prepare for the post-peak life.

Economy is too hot and people are having too much money. Sign of peaking.

Think on what Buffet told ya

It used to take me 45 minutes just to travel that 10 miles of 101 between my house and office. I imagine it’s only worse nowadays. The whole traffic situation explains the rise of Sunnyvale and Santa Clara, where schools are kinda meh but close to work for lots of people.

Traffic during busy hours has really gone bad for us in just 3 years.

1 Like

It’s gotten much worse here too. I’m amazed how many coworkers I meet with crazy commutes. They live far out due to home prices. It seems people that move from a market like California think homes are a deal. People who move from the Midwest think this is crazy expensive.

2 Likes

I wonder how the folks who bought my home in La Honda are faring. One works in SF, the other in Sunnyvale.
I had an e-mail or two from them; stuff like did I bring potted plants in for the winter. Then silence. Since Dec.1 La Honda has received over 40 inches of rain.

Wait for the lawsuit. I have claims from a buyer in Tahoe. This nasty winter has created floods never seen before.

Update - La Honda is now up to 47."

What can the buyer sue for? It won’t be covered by insurance, so any judgment will be directly from your pocket.

If a a bunch of leaks or flooding occurs. They buyer can go after no disclosure. This may be a ripe area for litigation it weather becomes more extreme.

Well my old place was built in '31. That’s a LOT of El Nino’s and flooding. If there were going to be a problem it likely would have manifested before now.
Also, the rains of Dec. 2012 were intense and then there was a period in Jan. 2017 where 5" fell in two days causing a landslide that destroyed six homes (they were on top of the portion that slid).
So - I think my little place has stood the test of time.
On another topic I was told the importance of installing gutters on the house I’m having built in Marana. I’ve owned two houses that had had no gutters for 50 years or more. Installing them created more problems than it solved.

Rain gutters can be used to direct water away from the house. They are uncommon in Tahoe because of ice issues. But in a heavy rain roofs can introduce a lot of water next to and into your crawl space. This excessive water can cause flooding and may undermine the foundation causing settlement.

Some roofs distribute water evenly around the house and some gutters put too much of it in one place.

That water needs to be directed away with a pipe

It’s rare to see a pipe directing water away from the house in many cases. Instead the rain water from the gutter making the foundation wet

The pipe may be underground and unseen. I have designed hundreds of houses with rain water pipes, site drains, retention structures and drains towards city sewers