Financial/investing sites/forums

They all think we’re crazy to pay the prices we do for CA real estate. Anything with less than a 10% cap rate is “speculation” and anticipating any appreciation whatsoever is equivalent to gambling. The only sure things are bonds, taxes, expense ratios and index funds. They push low cost of living areas, maxing out tax deferred savings, and investing 70:30 in Vanguard total stock market/Vanguard total bond. It’s a solid, disciplined approach that would allow most to retire but won’t make you rich and isn’t very exciting.

3 Likes

Sounds like they are the same FIRE cult who worships the mustache.

Appreciation in Bay Area has been going on for the last 50 or 60 years. It’s funny to argue with reality.

Not quite like the FIRE crowd – BHs are much more realistic about what it actually takes to retire. Many save >$100k/year by maxing out 401k/403b/457/backdoor Roth/HSA etc. and have >$1M portfolios by 30–40. Most follow the 4% rule, i.e. you can withdraw up to 4% of your total assets each year in retirement and have a low probability of ever running out of money. So if your expenses in retirement are projected to be $200k, you need a $5M portfolio.

3 Likes

Most people outside SV is not used to aggressive investment. Look at Europe, hardly any startups because Europeans are conservative and buy mostly fixed interest instruments :grinning: and they are fearful of startups, equities and options.

1 Like

Can you suggest how $5500 Roth IRA or $18500 401k can be put into real estate, other than REIT investments?

Solo 401k.

Even for Solo 401k, how can we invest in Real Estate other than REIT investments?

1 Like

You need a self-directed IRA. Believe Peter Thiel or one of those guys put a lot of FB stock in during the early days. RE is still hard because it would be difficult to get leverage.

1 Like

Yup, you can invest in just about anything with self-directed. RE is difficult though unless you have enough to avoid a mortgage.

2 Likes

There is one bank that lends to 401k RE purchase: NASB.

3 Likes

I like BH as well, but I probably like WCI (White Coat Investor) better. Higher NW individuals (doctors) that have shorter time horizons and can be aggressive.

2 Likes

From what I can tell, quite the opposite. The thread on “Is it ok to buy a new car?” was actually mostly "yes"s. In Mustache territory, that person would’ve been ripped apart for not driving a beater or living next to job or biking in the snow.

2 Likes

Thank you! That looks like a good find. Not that we’re white coats, but the COL here is less likely to phase them Ill bet.

It might be good for most people who are closer to retirement and who already have a lot of asset.

I have not got time to check out any of these sites, but I think it’s better than financial advisor due to lack of conflict of interest

I am not concerned consulting an adviser what to do and how to plan, feel free to do.

They will give you some suggestion/advice which may be useful to you. In addition, you will also get some unwanted suggestion like some insurance or mutual funds giving them some commissions.

The second part, make sure you analyze independently what they suggest you.

Time to rename this forum as Investing practices of SWEs

2 Likes

Bogleheads.org - Index page is best for personal finance and index investing.

Corner of Berkshire & Fairfax Message Board - Index is best for value investing/stock picking.

But why go anywhere else? We got experts on everything here…

1 Like

I said houses because if @Terri is unsure about other investments, RE is the safest bet. Personally I wouldn’t rely on forums for stock investment. These guys either try to swindle your money or publish fake news so they can unload their unprofitable stakes.

Are you talking about us? :thinking:

This is a gossip corner :smile: