Flipping (Excelsior)

One of my friends went to an open house in Portola recently after hearing raving reviews from a coworker and she was shocked at the number of hobos (one apparently without his pants on) wandering on the streets. Thanks but no thanks.

Here you go, @harriet. Under 600K!!! Decently priced one in the Excelsior with much upside and it sounds like you can live in it for now without too much problems. 4/2 with inlaw potential. Address number sucks but have a Buddhist monk come and bless the place before move inā€¦:slight_smile:

Tenant occupied and 136 favorites already. I love how the listing shows zero interior pictures and pictures of the nearby grocery store and park.

Where exactly is this house? I donā€™t recall seeing many hobos in that areaā€¦

I realize this will go over asking but honestly this is the kind of property I would go check out if I were first time buying. Seems decent and yes probably needs work (no pics) but asking is reasonable enough. Who hasnā€™t seen enough garbage that is priced unrealistically high, right? Sounds like this one has side access or potential for inlaw action even.

I think most first time buyers probably donā€™t want to go through the hassle of evicting current occupants. I certainly didnā€™t want to deal with this when I bought my first property. But yes if this settles around low to mid $800Ks maybe some people wouldnā€™t mind the trouble.

No idea; if I knew she was going to see this property Iā€™d advise her against it. I donā€™t like the southeast corner of SF in general.

Aaah, but when you think about it that is what eliminates the flippers. They donā€™t want the hassle or unknown time constraints. Time is money for them. While you figure out how to get this occupant out, in theory, they are paying rent. It would be great if they stopped paying thus giving you an easy valid eviction reason but so what. Sure, if the property is cheap enough, anyone can wait it out or go through the process. If you are planning to be the one living there and can document it, etc, this is a way into the market. Yes, some time and perhaps some lawyer gets a little bit more fatter because of you but it is what it is. You have every right to buy and move in as the owner. The city has set amounts that you would have to pay out in theory based on the number of occupants. Once you determine how much you have to pay out then at least you have a number to factor in. If you want in, you are gonna have to do some work but at least you take out the house flippers and that is a win in itself.