Floors

Some home improvement. I had painted, damaged floors which looked like they belonged in a WW I barrack. Thank God, even with the paint, a local contractor recognized them as hickory plank. Other contractors said I should just go over them with a laminate. Why such a high end material was used in an otherwise plane Jane house I’ll never know. Why the goobers I bought from painted over them is even more of a mystery. They finished up so nice I don’t want to move my furniture back. Just some chairs and glass tables so my buddies have a place to set down their beers while they admire them.

5 Likes

Nice. How long did the sanding take?

Sanding and then buffing after the first coat took 4 days. A final polyurethane coat goes on Monday and is fully cured by Wednesday. So, 9 days living in the basement with all my stuff crammed into two rooms and a wooden plank leading from the threshold of the laundry room to a toilet and shower so I don’t have to step on the floor. Worth it.
Here’s the only picture I could dig up showing the old painted floor.

2 Likes

I drove on 84 through La Honda on Saturday on my way to Pescadero State Beach. I was surprised by the amount of traffic that stayed behind me all the way from 280 till highway 1. We were briefly awed at the houses with horse ranches in Portola Valley and were brought back down to earth when my younger one asked how folks living here go to the supermarket.

I was telling my wife about you and your stories about landslides that you’ve told us before.

I just got an e-mail from one of the people who bought my little 610 sq ft cottage in 2018. She’s done lot of gardening, expanding on the irrigation system I put in and added lots of potted plants to the deck. She’s loving it there. I’m glad; even after I’ve left a place I always like to think the people who came after me were happy there. I could have lived there forever myself if the politics of CA wasn’t so messed up. I’m still on the La Honda Google group. The town that once hosted Ken Kesey’s Electric lighthouse where people would go to drop acid now complains if a few teenagers down by the lake aren’t “social distancing.” Thank God I can have the memories without the modern day reality.

1 Like