GOP is dead in California. When is the funeral? lol

At a city level, one party rule can last decades. Just look at the least safe cities which haven’t had a republican mayor since the 60’s.

2 Likes

Most alarming for the GOP is the growing prospect that for the first time since the Great Depression, there will be no Republican in Congress representing Orange County, a longtime party stronghold.

Complete wipeout.

This Gil guy is very interesting…

He worked as a shipping and manufacturing manager for Frito-Lay, until he was laid off in 2010.[5] Weeks after he was laid off, Cisneros won a Mega Millions jackpot worth $266 million.

GOP has been dead in CA for decades. A CA Rep would be a Dem in most other states. Nationally the Dems did very poorly. In fact, the worst performance of an opposition party in the midterms in 16 years. With 24/7/365 negative coverage of Trump from four of the five major media outlets this SHOULD have been a wave election for the Dems but wasn’t. They picked up only 35 seats in Congress (official definition of a “wave” is 48 or more) and couldn’t take the Senate.
I remember the eulogies for the Reps in '09. They were supposed to be out of power for at least 20 years. Took them 2 to get congress back and 8 to take back the whole ball of wax - even with Trump as their leader and even with a central bank printing money for the Dems. Nationally the Dems present no credible opposition. Any gains are likely to be short-lived. They simply have no vision that the American people are willing to buy into.
As for CA - one outcome of one party rule is an exodus of conservatives to red states. This will end up costing CA electoral votes and congressional seats after the next census. The state may be solid Dem but it will be increasingly marginalized on a national scale.

1 Like

Not sure where you are getting the number of seats for your definition of a wave. When all the counting is done, the Democratic Party would have won more seats then their wave election then in 2006. They also got close to 11-13% more votes then republicans which is probably the greatest gap in recent memory. The only reason the number of seats doesn’t reflect their lopsided win in the popular vote is the massive gerrymandering that the republicans undertook in 2010

1 Like

Wave elections.
https://ballotpedia.org/United_States_Congress_elections,2018#Wave_elections.281918-2016.29

A win of as little as 20 can be considered a wave. The Democratic Party won more seats then their wave election wins of 2006 and 2008

1 Like

When are you getting ready to leave? I have a strong back, so, let me offer you my services to load the luggage, and all your personal items into your moving van.

I am talking to the racists on this forum.

They got a notification that they are not welcome in California. Please leave.

“The California Republican Party isn’t salvageable at this time. The Grand Old Party is dead,” wrote former state GOP Assembly leader Kristin Olsen, who startled fellow Republicans with a brutally frank op-ed this week saying Republicans must acknowledge their “serious problem” in California,

particularly the effects of toxicity of President Trump. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Let me tell you that we Latinos hate racists and Communist arse kissing politicians, and those voters stupid enough to not realize they are in the group that is targeted by racists. Those “Latinos” joining the forces of evil, pay the price, sooner or later.

1 Like

Consider what you like. The recent election results give the Republicans control of half the legislative branch and still all of the rest - including the most powerful branch of all, the bureaucracy. When Ginsberg finally collapses we’ll get a third conservative justice and there’s nothing the Dems can do about it. It is states like CA and not the Republican party who are being marginalized.

That’s a confusion between input and output.

It’s a solid Dem wave based on the D popular vote margin. It looks like it’s going to be above 8 points.

So the input is a large Dem margin. Output is less skewed because of 1) sorting: most D voters concentrate in cities and 2) GOP gerrymandering from 2010.

Dems did flip quite a few governor races. That will help a lot in in-gerrymandering or even gerrymandering to the dems.

Enjoy your new Dem senator in AZ. :smile:

2 Likes

It’s now official. Young Kim went down. Complete wipeout in OC.

1 Like