Handyman liability

I have a newbie question about home owners liability if a electrician or plumber gets injured in my home. Do I need to hire only licensed workers? Does my home owner insurance or umbrella policy cover injuries to unlicensed workers? Thanks for your response.

Licensed contractors suppose to carry insurance for themselves. General contractors need to carry insurance for workers that he hires. So the liability is on them.

If you hire handyman, then liability can be on you if someone is injured and sue you. I believe the home owner insurance bodily injury and personal liability covers this. But that coverage is typically quite low. So need umbrella insurance on top of that for additional coverage.

1 Like

I recommend hiring licensed workers for any work related to your home to minimize the risk of accidents or injuries. If an unlicensed worker gets injured while working in your home, you may be held liable for their injuries. However, homeowners’ insurance policies typically have liability coverage that may help cover the costs of injuries to workers, including those who are unlicensed. It’s always best to check with your insurance provider to understand your coverage and any exclusions, limitations, or conditions.