Here Come the Tech IPOs: Redfin Agents Say the San Francisco Housing Market Is Heating Back Up

https://www.redfin.com/blog/san-francisco-housing-market-tech-ipos/

Isentaeva is working with a few homebuyers involved in the Lyft IPO, which took place in March, and one who is an employee of Airbnb, which could go public by the end of the year. To help employees of these companies make bigger, stronger offers, some mortgage lenders are taking buyers’ prospective stock compensation into consideration when deciding on a loan preapproval amount.

“The Airbnb employee wanted to move quickly because he noticed a lot of buyer demand. He looked at a gorgeous four-bedroom condo listed just above $1.5 million, loved it and put in an offer for $1.8 million three days after it went on the market to try to avoid competition. And it’s a good thing he offered above asking price because the day after he went under contract for the condo, another buyer offered an additional $50,000,” Isentaeva said.

“Another client, an investor in Lyft, is aggressively looking to buy an investment property in San Francisco before the IPO lockup period ends and more cash flows into the city,” she continued. “And still another buyer, who previously worked at Lyft for several years, was recently outbid on a small condo in the Missionneighborhood of San Francisco that had a total of 10 offers. Now he’s looking at properties further away from his ideal location so he can close on a home before even more IPO money enters the city later this year.”

Can only afford condos? Can’t afford SFHs? Since most of the houses in South Bay are SFHs, these guys can’t afford SB.

If these IPOs have any positive effect on RE prices this year, I think it’ll end around Belmont~San Carlos and South Bay won’t be affected. :wink:

True. I think South Bay prices are more influenced by the plain old stock market. If Nvidia continues to trade at the current low level it’s hard for Santa Clara RE to go gang buster.

Since when has Nvidia stock price become barometer for south bay RE price? I guess its employees in SC is about 6000-7000?

Apple has 25,000 employee and Cisco has 16,000 in SV according to below article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2018/05/22/cupertino-head-tax-proposal-apple-mnt-view-goog.amp.html

South Bay is not a laggard. SF is more promising. Hope Cisco, Apple and Nvidia won’t become HP or IBM

Dow dropped 500 points today but eventually the trade deal will get done, and that’s when the Dow shoots pass 27k imo

I am using nvidia as a representative for semiconductors. Most of them are trading at pretty low level and SC has tons of them HQ’ed there.

Can’t deny this after seeing red in semi stock today. :disappointed:

Semi can still provide good people with good jobs, but the number of new semi jobs is pretty limited. Other than zoom, there’s no other big IPOs in the South Bay. Will Mountain View and Sunnyvale dry up some day?

Prices in SV probably stay flat for many years. Rents probably go up slowly.