Home Automation

smart plugs & light switches are also useful.

Geeks, donā€™t you just love to have an Ethernet jack on your faucet? :heart_eyes_cat:

no thanks. wifi / or z-protocols are perfect.

You just introduced another point of failure.

Everything! In your original post, look at how absurd that looks, Go buy a smart thingy, and then have another thingy to back it up. Wow, I guess it is not it is all cracked up to be if it needs a backup. Remember my post recently where apparently these smart cars have smart keys to get into and start your car? Well, thieves have hacked them so the suggestion was to buy a leaded box for your FOBs. Idiots!!! What is the point then???

oh wait thieves have been stealing cars since 1930. I guess i will not buy a car

thatā€™s exactly how you sound.

I didnā€™t say buy a smart thing and another to back up. I am in general worried about leaks, or runover toilets that costs water money. Instead of worrying, i measure and prevent.

I like to have the ease of use for many things. Like automatically turning on lights if i walk around, because sometimes itā€™s god damn hard to find that light switch, or things you donā€™t know was on the hallway and end up hitting.

Why do you have a fire sensor in the first place? OMG, thatā€™s a smart device you just didnā€™t notice it was smart.

why are you even using a telephone!!! it could get hacked!!!

There are practical limits to use of technology. How much you want to bet that a lot of folks wished they didnā€™t post something on the internet (they were told it was safe after all)???

When it comes to home fixtures, I truly believe you donā€™t want it to involve water, gas and electricity, as my examples tried to show you. You are just asking for problems. The only thing I can see worthwhile in home automation, is with respect to security cameras which stay on or not if nothing happens and you can get pinged from a world over. In the case of a touchless water faucet, if you really need one, go and buy a casketā€¦

I never said go with faucet.

Read what i say. I am actually very practical in what i wrote. stuff you worry in a dumb home, i try to measure & sense. I optimize. Read reddit on how useful smart sprinklers are. etc.

Example - did you know that you can check your electricity use from pge by the hour, and optimize a plan thatā€™d reduce your bill? If you had some things that consume a lot of electricity, you can move them to earlier hours and save tens of bucks per month, it literally would take 10 minutes to do that. You can use that data to figure out if you should get solar etc as well.

• Same for smart sprinklers. you can save tens of bucks.
  • Same for smart sensors - you have a fire / smoke / co sensor, why not get alerted on your phone too?

How do you see a leak btw, do you have to see it with your eyes? What if it happens after two weeks of vacation? How often do you actually turn off your main valve?

Donā€™t be soooooo arrogant. just accept the data driven approach.

As for faucets, i hope you realize the stuff you use to wash your hands at airports etc are all smart in some sense of the word. Itā€™s smart so that you donā€™t have to touch that gross thing to open / close it, you can just do it by putting your hand underneath. no need to touch someone elseā€™s genital organ with that.

Wow, you are using a faucet example in a place that is for one opened TWENTY FOUR HOURS A DAYā€¦gee a lot could go wrong thereā€¦

Secondly, I donā€™t share my kitchen faucet with a zillion other users to have to worry about germs, thank youā€¦

The mere fact that your automation systems require you to have a backup says well it is not foolproof. I say a proverbial security iron door, while primitive in your mind, is damn safeā€¦

Smart faucet at home is a terrible idea. My company has that for the pantry and sometimes it just shuts off on its own even though my hands are right underneath the sensor still. Itā€™s annoying.

i agree. i never said use smart faucet at your home.

Why are you taking my words awfully out of context?
I only said everything has its use. Saying something is smart, and thatā€™s why is dumb, IS DUMB. Period.
Smart faucets have uses. Smart sensors have other uses.

Dude - you have backups for your dumb stuff. If you forget keys at home and have no back up, you go to a locksmith. Why is it so hard to understand this?

it will work 100% of the time. It will run out of battery every once in awhile, you will get many many uses, you will so get used to use it, you donā€™t even know.

You still havenā€™t explained how do you detect a leak in a home. Do you see it with your eyes, and then call the plumber after all the damage it has caused? Because thatā€™s dumb.

or how you detect a smoke / fire at home. i mean if it werenā€™t for the smart things, you would probably be dead, or someone you know would be.

or how do you water your lawn? Oh wait, itā€™s also smart. it happens magically.

Please donā€™t be arrogant, just accept that it helps your life.

itā€™s ok sfdragonboy. itā€™s ok. i give up.

Letā€™s use cars as an example since I think I won hands down via the smart faucet example. Although the smart faucet is just an extension of your home automation world.

Why is it that all the fancy cars with the latest electronic gizmos tend to more often than not depreciate so much faster than their more simplistic counterparts??? Yes, higher price differential but if the stuff were so good, everyone would be buying them, no? The reason why is that simply sheet breaks down often and well people get tired of (a) no car to drive, (b) high repair bills and Ā© the simple missing of something reliable, period. A deadbolt is not sexy but for the most part it works everytimeā€¦

The thing is the internet and cloud based stuff is a playland for thieves, more so than your conventional stuff these days. Thieves can try to hack themselves into your accounts and what have you from countries away. Why do you think I have a plain jane, hard wired home network system? Pretty hard to break through. Security is key, and if I have to resort to manually locking a door each night so be it.

I am not gonna respond. You are making nonarguments. You clearly did not read what i wrote, which makes you really ignorant.

Ok, here you go @tomato on an example that you can appreciate and why I am not so sure on the advances of technology. Anyone who has had a house or property may have tried this, at one point. You know those fancy wireless door bell ringers? Well, they were faulty and would give off error rings (or just not work). A wired door bell system, pretty much works everytimeā€¦

Yes, I will go back to walking 5 miles to work everyday tooā€¦

I am sure none of your appliences ever broke either.

For the smart doorbell, sure a dumb one works everytime, but it doesnt give you the security aspect you get with a camera