Home Remodel Question, What is the implication for mismatch sqft record?

The home I bought was built during 1950s and San Jose city( &county) record shows 1012 sqft.

I checked city permit since 1968 onwards, there is no remodel (i.e. additional sqft) except roof permit approval in 2013.

When I measure the home, it is 1600 sqft livable area + 2 car garage (440 sqft). I can add 1200 sqft easily as I like to have additional 2 BH and 2 BD. This can be done within set backs easily.

I initially had tear down option when I learnt small home of 1012 sqft, but physically available home is 1600 sqft.

Presently, it is even cheaper for me to add 1200 sqft than tear down rebuild.

Will there be any issue from city by this mismatch 1012 sqft at their record, but physically available building is 1600 sqft?

2 Likes

I presume you are referring to your newly purchase house.
Would be monitoring this thread closely :slight_smile:
I have no clue to any of your questions :frowning:
Hopefully there is a RE decline so I can buy a fixer-upper to build :slight_smile: a bigger house.

Yes. I need to remodel or build new one there. I was thinking to rebuild completely when I saw listing with 1012 sqft. With higher sqft, adding 1200 is simple remodel. Sellers do not have any clue about sqft as they are 2nd buyer during 1975. Original owner (first owner) lived from 1950 to 1975.

Shouldn’t be an issue. You will supply an as-is drawing when you do the plans, demo specifications and new floor plan.

I’d suggest you at least rebuild the existing portion if you are going to be spending a few hundred thousand already.

Let me correct myself, I don’t believe it will be an issue. Cities/counties aren’t known for never dropping the ball.

1 Like

Congrats on your new purchase! Which zip or neighborhood is this home?

I know some people have been waiting since 2011.

I have been waiting since 2016 :grinning:Trump victory mess up my plan

1 Like

They will probably make you bring it up to code count it. That shouldn’t be an issue with all the addition work you have planned.

1 Like

Try to California room of San Jose library and try to find the orginal plans for the house. If they don’t have plans then you are in great luck. you can contend that the house originally from day-1 was 1600 sq ft and city would have to accept. I had to follow the same route with one of my own properties in san jose in 2015.

I made them acknowledge that square footage.

5 Likes

Willow glen

Oh!!! No wonder you started a WG thread… :laughing:

1 Like

Since I sold my old home last year, I have been looking at that area, now I paid 50% premium over my old home that I bought 2015.

:open_mouth:

Did you buy sight unseen? It would be pretty obvious when you view the house.

You can consult an architect who’s familiar with SJ’s practice. Since SJ is a very big city, they probably are too picky

Right. How could you not notice sqft is really 1600sqft instead of 1000sqft?

BTW, if one of previous owner did expansion without permit and new owner reveals such fact to city, what is the implication on property tax? Do you need to pay any penalty or portion of tax saved by not getting new tax assessment? I have been wondering about this.

1 Like

We visited the home two times, we had the doubt about size, but we were focusing on lot size looking for tear down.

Yesterday, after getting into contract, I went again, measured the sqft, it is high. The current owner is perfect in all remodeling and he has got permit after he started owning from 1975 onwards.

IMO, County records may not have been updated as I see the left and right setbacks are 8 feet each (look old 1950s standards) than 12 feet and 6 feet now (or It may be 10 feet and 5 feet)

Great. You must have got a great deal. Bought a 1600 SF house with a 1100sf price

1 Like

Ask your agent and escrow officer about getting the city/county records corrected. I’ve found many mismatches in older homes. IIRC it was fairly easy to accomplish.

The square feet mattered in regards to insurance. Having had friends lose homes in fires the county records mattered and it was a pained step to get it corrected in the midst of devastation.

If it’s corrected before COE you might not get the valuation adjusted post closing by some well meaning clerk who raises the value of the home which will raise property taxes.

1 Like