Housing Red Flags

you do realize its still way better than the commutes fro San Ramon or Dublin or worse Livermore.

1 Like

@sfdragonboy @myo @manch

What about this ?

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Fremont/39349-Monterey-Way-94538/home/1683252

2 story.
3/1 - 3000 or 2800 rent
1/1 - 1600 rent

Cash flow positive by 800 to 1000 after PITI. Iā€™m an ARM believer. 7/1 arm at 2.75.

2 Likes

@srinivas donā€™t compare UC to Dublin. At least schools are good in Dublin. If I have 2 kids Iā€™d buy in Dublin and bite the commute. Iā€™m not going to make more than the their private school fees by spending extra 20 to 30 mins.

1 Like

Nice. Yea, I think units with in-law units are the one to go. I am buying in Daly City for that reason, I can rent two units and rent in Daly City is higher. Acquired one one month ago and renovating it right now. Iā€™ll report back the numbers if anyone interested.

1 Like

@myo thanks please do report back.

do you mind sharing privately the contractor info.

And all of us should get together for coffee and trade ideas.

Depends on which tech you are referring to. N SJ is more of hardware engineers, and I find it software jobs are from Mountain View to San Mateo or up to SF. UC is better or versatile with Bart in that aspect. And no offence to anyone, IMO, growth in software is higher than hardware jobs lately here in Bay Area.

My contractor only speaks Chinese after living in the US for 20 years. And I donā€™t. I am asking my father-in-law help to communicate with him. I tried to use google translate, it doesnā€™t go very well :slight_smile: But if you can speak Chinese or access to someone who can speak Chinese, he is pretty decent and his price is very reasonable.

1 Like

That would be tough :slight_smile: but good to know.
So do you put in basic stuff so that itā€™s rentable or make it look nicer to rent it quickly and for more? Hwhats the extent of ur rehab?
For rental, itā€™s always easy if u get good appliances and if itā€™s nicely done.

I donā€™t live in UC. But I donā€™t think, Itā€™s that bad. From North fremont, itā€™s @20-25 mins in no traffic. & 40 mins in traffic. If you have a job where you can leave @10am in the morning & 7 pm in the evening, the traffic is 20-25 mins most of the time, except when there might be an accident etc. Between 8-10am, it can be between 25-45 mins in office traffic.

Colleagues who live in South San Jose also take @45 minutes @8:30 am

We tried driving to Dublin couple of time during our house search & the traffic seemed very bad. So gave up on that idea.

I am making it looks nicer, still basic but say one step above from cheapest :slight_smile: New appliances on 4th of July sales. I believe in the quality tenant (you can charge more and get away with less headache) so I tried to renovate for that target market. On top of that, if I decided to flip, probably can do so without worrying too much about getting rid of the tenant.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s very true. More and more hardware jobs are going to China.

I think Iā€™ve been spoiled by having 2 commutes where I didnā€™t need to get on a freeway.

Are you sure you can rent out the 3/1 at 3k rent, if itā€™s not the whole house but only part of it? Managing in-laws when you were not living there can be tricky. Because the house was not set up as multi-fam by design a lot of stuff needs to be shared and the two sets of tenants need to be nice to each other. Doable but can be tricky.

The other is the 2.75% loan. Loans for rentals usually are more expensive. Rates can be 0.5% higher than primaries.

Sorry to be a party spoilerā€¦ :slight_smile:

No @manch, what you said is right.

3k is doable in this market, itā€™s nicely done like a new townhome. May be not in a slow market

Actually not bad at all. My Fremont rental is South of that area. I think you can get $3k for that but I am not up on the current market rents there. I am renting my place for $2200 for a small 3/1 and I knew it was slightly below market but the family I rented to is great and they take very good care of the place. Since I live in SF, I also donā€™t want constant turnover. Unlike you, @manch, real estate managing is not my full time gig so I need to strike a good balance of rent earned vs cost of turning over places/time spent.

Thatā€™s why if the numbers are better, I wouldnā€™t mind a true 2-4 unit place. Fremont is already known and getting expensive. That is why I am thinking there is still hope for Newark and UC for multiple units so that if your line of sight is the next 5-10 years (after FB finishing up building) you should have a freaking desirable property.