How the Coronavirus will affect Bay Area Housing Market

What parts of Oakland do you think are most interesting?

Downtown, Chinatown and the Emeryville border.
I’m talking about multi family investment for ares young people like.
As far as burbs… Montclair, and Northeast Oakland

Thanks, interesting. I hear a lot of folks trying to get multi-family.

I’m keeping an eye out for multi-family in the traditional areas like Mountain View, West San Jose, Sunnyvale. I’m with manch. I think most people will be working hybrid schedules and will still need to come into the office.

1 Like

Going forward home prices will tend to be much closer to the construction and material cost of the house.
If location is not imp there is no reason it won’t.

I feel bad for people investing Millions on shacks. Wake up - don’t dodo.

That correct observation. We are the most car depended nation. It has secondary impact. we have i think greatest numbers of used car workshops and gas stations. This is most inefficient use of labor and space. large dealers and workshops just like overbuilt Malls.
The more population is spread out the more costly is maintain that population. There will be just more jobs related to it and the voting pattern will reflect.
Bel Air and Beverly Hills inventory is over 1000 now. Rich fleeing Southern California also. i dont know how few mega caps can maintain Tax base.

Sure sure. I agree with you that some jobs that aren’t central to a company’s core products can go remote. But product teams that need to innovate are going to need to meet.

I realize you hate this area (even though you live here and won’t leave) but a lot of us like it and will be sticking around.

Yes the Russians figured this all out decades ago! Impoverish your citizens in the name of efficiency so that no one would even imagine owning a car. We should definitely follow that model.

2 Likes

Come out of medieval age Mindset. With modern communication infra, white collar job growth, more automation, better infra why won’t we live with more space if we can.

This is what would distinguish first world quality of living from 3rd world.

1 Like

The ratio of Queen Bee to Worker Bees is heavily lopsided. You do not need an army of inventors and innovators. Most employees of a company do not innovate. They just execute or implement.

1 Like

Yes absolutely. And that’s the key to success. Too many innovators and I say good luck.

I’m actively working on leaving this rat race haven. There are realities that’s slowing it down.

We will see… the opposite could happen. You get rid of the worker bees from this area and more inventor/creator types come. And by the way, to build products at scale you actually do need close collaboration between a lot of people. Not just inventors/entrepreneurs.

The removal of these non-creative IT types that do all the mind-numbing work will be profound.

This is a lot like the arguments we were having back in March. People said real estate in this area was over. I remember saying that people would need more comfortable places to live and that places in the burbs might go up — quite the opposite of the prevailing mindset.

I think the same thing will happen with labor. This could actually amplify the effects of this area.

No one is removing them, just moving to low cost areas. It’s called capitalism. Those who won’t would have lower margins and can’t compete.

I actually think it’s great if they move on. It makes no sense for those folks to be here.

And to your other point — yes things have slowed down in the city. You and earth keep arguing that there is a slowdown. Guess what — you are right! But the smart people in this group recognize that things happen in cycles and are thinking several years down the road.

You think this downturn is a permanent downturn for this area. Great. I disagree. We will see who is right in a few years. All of the smart money that I know are scooping up property deals around here like there is no tomorrow.

These are real investors. Not people who think holding cash is a great strategy or buying in the middle of nowhere or who have never bought real estate. People who haves actually seen multiple cycles here.

2 Likes

There are “real investors” behind every bubble.

You should compare bubble values of real estate in 2006 versus values now…

I think you keep misunderstanding me. I do not know if there is a slow down. If you read my posts carefully, I always focus on RISK.

RISK means something that is not certain or guaranteed. About Bay Area Real Estate, I am saying that it appears riskier to me because of declining opportunities of higher rents, and the higher cost of acquiring the real estate.

Just the other day, I mentioned this rule:
MR> MC for an investment to make sense.

MR Marginal Revenue
MC. Marginal Cost.

So, if you can search a low risk investment in SFBA, go for it.
Let me restate my rule:

1. Buy at profit.
  2. Do not buy from another buyer (if you are in a rat race of overbidding, you are taking additional risk). Buy in a non-competitive situation. Such opportunities can be found in SFBA provided you do not rush and wait it out till something good comes up.

I need to scoop too to be deemed as smart :woozy_face:

Lol. I like your POV. And at least you put your money where your mouth is. Austin is a great place to invest.

Tired of these lectures from people who have never even owned real estate. They just want lower prices so they can buy in…

1 Like

Tahoe has finally exceeded 2006 values. Could be 14 years of pent up appreciation going forward. Potential 50-100% gains in next 3 years. Already seen some prices go up 30% in one month.
Stocks go up slowly and crash fast. RE rises quickly and drops slowly.
In 2005-6 prices in Tahoe skyrocketed. Then leveled off. From 2008-2012 priced dropped 50% and are now finally exceeding 2006 highs.

Several factors in Tahoe’s favor. Only 80 houses can be built every year… TRPA rules… contractors are super expensive and unreliable. Plus a very picky and annoying building department. Huge demand, short supply. WFH will remain in some form. 15 million people within a few hours drive. Average house sells for less than $500k… one third of the price of in the BA.

Only 120 house for sale in SLT… normal inventory is more than double that.

1 Like