How the Coronavirus will affect Bay Area Housing Market

Never lived but visited many times as tourist.

When there is smoke there’s got to be fire. Why is everyone suddenly saying SF is a cesspool? Go read any forum or any article - there is a unanimous perception that Mumbai slums in India now has competition.

Why do I need to read if I live here since the 90???
The difference is smoke happens here stays temporarily compared to your home country. Sorry you compare Apple to Orange.
The fact that you have come to SF many times as tourists should hint you something about this place.
Sorry I would not pick Mumbai for my vacation :wink:

Yes it was a great city long ago. I witnessed over last 15 years it become an overcrowded unsafe unclean and crazy expensive place.
Mumbai is a popular place FWIW and millions live n visit Inspite of inhuman conditions. I guess SF people have the same mindset.

Having said that most Indian cities lacks basic infrastructure like Internet electricity water transportation so ppl are forced to live in big cesspools like Mumbai. In USA there are better options I would assume. I really believe that SF will see a long drawn downfall and slow exodus turning into a 3rd world city from perhaps current 2nd world.

Best of luck :wink:

You too :joy:.

Could you be suffering from familiarity bias? Just checking! Other traps are motivate reasoning and confirmation bias.

Full disclosure: I suffer from all three: Familiarity Bias, Confirmation Bias, and Motivated Reasoning.

People come to live in big cities like NYC and SF for the big city lives they offer, which have been mostly shut down for the last few months. No wonder many people, especially young people, have left.

But to say that people will just never return shows a shocking lack of imagination. We literally have a famous person wrote an article proclaiming the death of NYC couple months back but look at this NYT article today:

Rent has come down a lot, luring people back. Why would people think lower rent has no effect and SF and NYC would just suffer permanent decline?

:man_shrugging:

Bull trap :crazy_face:

I have to agree to show that I have imagination :thought_balloon:

Top 12 MSAs in the United States. The bigger ones are in decline/peak for more than a decade now. Those in south and west are growing. SF did not grow as fast, but given that its governance has become apparent, it will be interesting to see what happens next.

Rank Metropolitan statistical area 2019 estimate 2010 Census % change Encompassing combined statistical area
1 New York City-Newark-Jersey City, NY-NJ-PA MSA 19,216,182 18,897,109 +1.69% New York-Newark, NY-NJ-CT-PA CSA
2 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA MSA 13,214,799 12,828,837 +3.01% Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA CSA
3 Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI MSA 9,458,539 9,461,105 −0.03% Chicago-Naperville, IL-IN-WI CSA
4 Dallas-Fort Worth-Arlington, TX MSA 7,573,136 6,366,542 +18.95% Dallas-Fort Worth, TX-OK CSA
5 Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX MSA 7,066,141 5,920,416 +19.35% Houston-The Woodlands, TX CSA
6 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV MSA 6,280,487 5,649,540 +11.17% Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA CSA
7 Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach, FL MSA 6,166,488 5,564,635 +10.82% Miami-Port St. Lucie-Fort Lauderdale, FL CSA
8 Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD MSA 6,102,434 5,965,343 +2.30% Philadelphia-Reading-Camden, PA-NJ-DE-MD CSA
9 Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Alpharetta, GA MSA 6,020,364 5,286,728 +13.88% Atlanta–Athens-Clarke County–Sandy Springs, GA-AL CSA
10 Phoenix-Mesa-Chandler, AZ MSA 4,948,203 4,192,887 +18.01% Phoenix-Mesa, AZ CSA
11 Boston-Cambridge-Newton, MA-NH MSA 4,873,019 4,552,402 +7.04% Boston-Worcester-Providence, MA-RI-NH-CT CSA
12 San Francisco-Oakland-Berkeley, CA MSA 4,731,803 4,335,391 +9.14% San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA CSA

Population growth from 2010 to 2019 ~30% :roll_eyes:

Williamson County where I am living ~39%

Plenty of land to construct houses so can grow a lot larger. Good for long term (decades) investment. According to @manch, Austin MSA is 25 years behind SF MSA. Invest now and your children/ grand children would thank you.

1 Like

The problem with SF goes way beyond the homeless and the filth. It is the system. Run by liberal guilt and greedy public employees unions. It is a corrupt cesspool with no accountability. One party rule with no checks and balances. Why aren’t the taxpayers fed up? The ones that are just leave. But those of us who once lived there know things can be better.

1 Like

Life in short. Why waste it living in filth?

People have different priorities. I loved living in SF in my twenties, going out to bars and restaurants with my friends and exploring the city. Also was a good way to meet women.

Now I prefer the burbs. The young people I know have moved back in with their parents to avoid rent and because they are lonely. As soon as we get past this, those people are going to move back. They don’t want to live in Dublin.

1 Like

If you take all the big cities of America, the population around urban core ( exclude burbs) would not add up to more than 10-20 Million. In a country of about 350 million, this is a very small population. Can we conclude, most people do not care about living in urban cores?

1 Like

Maybe not Dublin but Berkeley and Oakland offer plenty of nightlife

1 Like

Oakland could be a real beneficiary. We will see.

It already is. Been investing there over 40 years. Gentrification is real and has changed Oakland for the better.

What parts of Oakland do you think are most interesting?

Downtown, Chinatown and the Emeryville border.
I’m talking about multi family investment for ares young people like.
As far as burbs… Montclair, and Northeast Oakland

Thanks, interesting. I hear a lot of folks trying to get multi-family.

I’m keeping an eye out for multi-family in the traditional areas like Mountain View, West San Jose, Sunnyvale. I’m with manch. I think most people will be working hybrid schedules and will still need to come into the office.

1 Like