How the Coronavirus will affect Bay Area Housing Market

Ugly and dated. How was the interior?

Looks mostly original, needs an update. Don’t care about the finishes – I like the square footage, big flat lot and courtyard with pool.

1 Like

$500k remodel? 50 year old building may need everything redone

Practically brand new. I grew up in a house built in the mid-1800s.

I’d put 200–300 into it eventually and do the easy stuff myself. Leave the kitchen and bathrooms to the pros.

A fifty year old home needs everything replaced. Windows doors roof flooring cabinets baths kitchen HVAC plumbing electrical may need extensive repairs… all depends how many upgrades and repairs were done in the past

Tell me about it - that list of work is what I had to do to my primary.
Started with the electrical - upgraded panel to 200A (but should’ve also fixed all the breakers)
Then did windows, doors, floors.
New roof shingles
Then new furnace and A/C.
Then gutted kitchen and garage and redid them.
Then re-did bathrooms over time.
Luckily plumbing was already copper.

The good thing about a 1972 house is its pretty modern. Usally good modern open floor plans with modern copper romex wiring and copper plumbing. Although a few had aluminum wiring. Generally wood frame houses are pretty tired after fifty years. Plus there are a lot of modern upgrades that we really want in the 21st century… like high end windows doors and appliances… they were all pretty crappy in those days. Cabinets are better flooring is better and countertops now have infinite choices.
Garage doors today are amazing. I highly recommend replacing them on any major remodel. They completely make the exterior look. Especially the frosted glass ones with black painted stiles and rails. Chic and modern. But there are thousands of choices unavailable in 1972
I live in a 1972 house . Completely remodeled in 2005. With all the upgrades mentioned. It feels like a brand new house.

I’m starting to wonder if the South Bay is going to really separate from SF. It has older companies with big campuses who seem most intent on making hybrid work. SF has more startups which are smaller and appear to be embracing fully remote more. It’s a lot easier to go remote when renting a small space. It’s a much tougher sell when a company owns a large campus.

1 Like

It means get out of SF fast.

2 Likes

Much worse than I had imagined it will be in 2022.

Ken Rosen, chairman of the Berkeley Haas Fisher Center for Real Estate and Urban Economics, said the two broken deals are an indication that “San Francisco has a very big problem.”
“At the moment San Francisco is not a market investors want to be in,” said Rosen. “People are not feeling good about buying San Francisco office buildings.”
Beyond the work from home trend sending less people into office spaces, the city’s central business district is suffering from a lack of conventions, empty storefronts, homeless encampments and open air drug dealing, Rosen said. He said the city’s budget would likely take a major hit as more and more property owners have their assessments lowered to reflect the new realities.

“It will be a wake-up call,” he said. “We are losing our economic base and that will continue until we change our politics in San Francisco. We have a crisis in business confidence.”

Who pays for the needles, drugs and poop cleaning now?

1 Like

SF mess spills over to South Bay. Yesterday in Bloomingdale’s in Stanford Mall, I saw 6-7 masked guys snapping up everything they can and run away in front of 2 security staff. They said it’s very common now. Happens almost daily.
Homeless and needles are now coming in Palo Alto and Downtown San Jose. If you are near shit you will stink too. Bay Area will keep declining as long as liberals dems run the state.

2 Likes

It’s gonna continue. Don’t have any hope it will change for the better.

Comments in the article say it all

Conventions don’t come here anymore, because no one wants to walk from their hotels to the Moscone Center, and deal with the city’s sidewalks, clogged with drug addicted homeless. And human feces.

I was at a convention at the Moscone Center about 10years ago, and having dinner one night with out-of-town colleagues tat a local restaurant, we were treated to a display by a mentally ill homeless guy pounding on the window just outside our table.

My colleagues were management with company that I represented as a sales rep.

That management team, told the organizing entity, that if they ever chose S.F. again as the host city, that they’d just skip it.

Apparently, enough other exhibiting Manufacturer’s and convention attendees did likewise.

That annual convention has never returned

2 Likes

But you are heavily invested in BA real estate. Multiple properties according to your previous statements and looking to invest more if we are to believe you.

Also, multiple masked men robbed Bloomingdale’s at Stanford Shopping Center yesterday and you are saying that is a normal occurrence?

Hmmm…

1 Like

Don’t blame the Democrats or the political appointees. Who elected them? You get what you’ve elected. In Austin, I didn’t stay in Democrats controlled City of Austin/ Travis County. I stay in Republicans dominated Williamson County.

3 Likes

That’s why I said the following

1 Like

The future is bright. :slight_smile:

Just make sure you don’t do that then vote like a Californian. Your county will turn into the same mess.