How the Coronavirus will affect Bay Area Housing Market

We don’t have such opportunities when we’re young.

Noop ! Again here, I failed to make it.

When I first came to USA as consultant, my first client was QCOM. After I completed the project, they offered me a full time job with $60000 base+some bonus with $30000 ($2 equivalent) stock options just after they went IPO.

First, I did not know anything about stocks or the effect of IPO, second H1B issue, third I wanted to stay in bay area (tech circles) than moving to San Diego.

Six years later, I saw the QCOM jumped to $980 peak 2000-2001 period. Many years, I was holding the offer letter as an example how I missed and how QCOM went up…etc.

Ignorance is the key issue here.

4 Likes

You’re a late bloomer. Better late than never.

2 Likes

Still building in Phoenix. I am investing in another. 250 units in Tempe. $29m in the fund. The last two have done very well. 100% ROI in three years. On the first one.

2 Likes
1 Like

1 Like

Buy in January… mud in the streets… it will bring out the bargain hunters

1 Like

By any chance, do you remember the peak low real estate period of year 2009? I think it was Dec 2009 when stocks went down by Mar 2009. There were no funding by many banks (as they were busy filing bankruptcy - extreme case) and finally FED started printing money by Nov or Dec 2009.

I suspect similar this time too (but FED may not print money).

1 Like

Peak low? Trough? It went down again in 2011 :grinning: Depending on zip codes, some bottom in 2009, some bottom in 2011. FB IPO in 2012 launch BARE into a bull trend.

2 Likes

The statewide low was in 2012 when even the crazy bears on the Redfin forum started buying. But Palo Alto low was around your 2009 time frame. I was at the San Mateo county courthouse in 2009/10 watching houses in East Palo Alto selling fir $100-200k. Now worth $800-$1.5 m.
12:09 sounds about right for the BARE low.
I bought a couple of REOs in San Mateo that worth 3 times what I paid… should have keep them. But have made better returns in Tahoe since buying in 2013.

If stocks are at their lows then RE may bottom in December to March
If not RE could be stagnant for 3years. The FED wants to pull a Volcker. Or course 1981 was a great time to buy… if you had cash. I bought in 1982 with 17% interest rates. Paid $145k with 8% owner financing. Now worth $2m in Belmont. I bet owner financing will come back. There will be great buying opportunities in the next three years.

4 Likes

Got my first ever Property on October 2012.
What a decade it has been.

5 Likes

Already back.

1 Like

Yeah I have seen it. My friend sold two apartment buildings 6 months ago for $2m carrying $1m loan at 5% probably could get 7% now. Still he gets 50k per year and can differ the cap gains taxes to death. He’s 83. Has a $150k pre payment penalty… 5year loan

3 Likes