How Trump has handled the pandemic

Trump is full of shit. But local officials are just as bad in the other direction.

2 Likes

Trump has blood on his hands now

1 Like

The article is behind a paywall. But, the real question is the number of ventilators needed. Does USA need 80,0000 new ventilators at a price tag of 1 B or something like that all of the sudden? How many do we need realistically considering that hospitals usually have only few of them at any given time.

The few that hospitals have are enough for normal cases like surgery, etc. most ICU covid patients need ventilator support. There’s not enough to support them and caseload patients. People are going to die

It is funny that some democratic governors are banning chloroquine, a cheap medicine approved by FDA for compassionate use, and demanding an unusually large number of ventilators. Ventilators are complex piece of machinery and expensive I do not know the real situation, but I am summarizing the dispute between politicians for those who are not following it in detail.

1 Like

Trump does speak earlier than needed.

Relevant part highlighted below.

The initial projection, one senior administration official said, was that after three weeks of preparation it could produce an initial run of 20,000 ventilators, or about two-thirds of what Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York recently said his state alone needed to cover the influx of coronavirus patients expected in two weeks, if not sooner.

That number then shrank to 7,500 ventilators in the initial run, or maybe 5,000, an apparent recognition that auto transmissions and ventilators had very little in common.

The $1.5 billion price tag comes to around $18,000 a ventilator. And the overall cost, by comparison, is roughly equal to buying 18 F-35s, the Pentagon’s most advanced fighter jet.

Every person comes with a ventilator of its own. It is called the Lungs in plain English. The question is how many of the coronavirus infected people will need an external ventilator because their own ventilators do not work effectively. I do not know the answer myself. I do not know if anyone is collecting data.

18,000 a ventilator is a lot less then the current market price of 40,000 - 250,000. So you would rather buy 18 planes then save people?

1 Like

You may not know, but statisticians and epidemologists have done the math and know the rough number needed. Trust the people who do this professionally

1 Like

Trump made the decision based on recommendation/advice by experts :grin:

It’s an ongoing decision based on existing information and new information coming in. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edited the 1 line of “medication” out.

Point #1
As I understand this decision is not from the White House or Trump but from the people who are experts in these areas and advise the President.
Trump as I understand it in fact wants the ventilators to be produced.

Point #2
Technical/Technological Decision

Point #3
Supply chain and risk mitigation decision

nytimes: it seemed clear to several officials that the agency would have to select multiple manufacturers, in part to avoid the risk that one production line runs into technical troubles, or that its workers contract the very virus the ventilators are being built to defeat.

Point #4
Highlighted below are experts who know more about this than my guess is any of us here do.

nytimes: Targets have changed by the hour, officials said, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Food and Drug Administration, which approves the use of medical devices, and the White House try to figure out how many ventilators to request and how much they should cost.

What site / at what time do you get those numbers from? My original first 3 numbers came from www.thewuhanvirus.com , but that site has a data problem now, and Covid-19 Realtime Data shows a total of 103.8k.

At this point, the odds seem very high that there will be more than 1 million cases, which would probably mean 40k deaths. China has about 4% fatality, currently we have a little over 4000 deaths out of 100k cases (4%), 40k are to be expected.

It went in the last 7 days from 14.5k to 103k (* 7)

next Friday 700k cases?

That 1m comes sooner (April 6th?) than we thought, and I’m afraid it’s not going to be the turning point.

Edit:
Trump will get re-elected. How does Biden present himself? Did you hear anything from him lately?
A crisis is usually a good time for the incumbent to show strength.

1 Like

It comes down to the dead body count. If Newsoms tyranny reduces the CA death rate way below the National rate then he will the hero and Trump the zero. Hard to imagine any winners in this disaster. But great leaders and tyrants appear in desperate times. Meanwhile landlords are the sacrificial lambs.

2 Likes

Since people who are renting are generally low income and losing their jobs with little reserves, it makes sense. I’m sorry. In general, I’m with landlords, but on this one, it makes sense for the banks to stop asking for mortgage payments and the landlords to stop asking for rent and if you need financial help apply for it.

2 Likes

This will create year 2008 disaster as banks has not given their own money, but they borrowed ( underwriting) money from third party lenders like invesco ( IVR ) or UBS or world wide banks or Fannie Mae etc.

Mortgages are biggest part of economy running trillions next to stock market !

This will also drop real estate price to 50% down like 2008 which no one here prefers !

2 Likes

I would love to see a 50% crash right now! Got my cash out refis done in 2019…ready and waiting to do some bargain shopping.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind so much if the government helped with property tax relief. No offer yet. Meanwhile I have to pay for maintenance, utilities and taxes. I have few loans. But once landlords stop paying on their loans the banks will be in big trouble.
Once values drop then there will be property tax relief but that can take a couple of years. There will be thousands of foreclosures by then. 2008 all over again.

1 Like

My tenants would rather buy beer and pot than pay rent. Buy sin stocks. Not REITS. Newsom backed BS.

I buy rice from Chinese supermarkets. Thanks to early birds like you and @dioworld who panicked way earlier than me I can just stroll in to buy rice instead of fighting crowds.

:smile: