I'll just rent and vent I guess :-) Newcomer observations

I’m going to chime in since I purchased a property in last December. We bought solely to live and while I also agree a correction is looming, no one knows when it will happen. And like most said the correction will be around 10-20% and then it’s back on the rocket ship. Population in the BA is also expected to increase which means demand will continue to rise. I’m a BA native and I can’t imagine living anywhere else and for me 2017 was “time” to purchase a single-family home. It wasn’t based on market trends, whether or not the value of my home will increase by x percent in 10 years, etc.

If you’re buying to live, can afford it, and want to live here don’t let “what ifs” about the market sway you and just go for it. Then live in your home, and move on with enjoying life :grinning:.

5 Likes

Now you have a real home of your own, that’s no problem.

In fact, I am thinking of doing:

1. 2 washer driers so i can parallelize like an engineer.
  2. Two deep freezer so i can cut down trips to costco.
  3. Two fridges for similar reason
  4. and get a pick up truck so i can buy even more stuff in one go.
1 Like

Congrats! So, what did you learn in about a little over a half year of home ownership? Was it easier or harder than you thought?

1 Like

Skip (1). I highly doubt you are going to run 2 loads in parallel even with kids. We usually multi-task when doing laundry and never been an issue

A deep freezer (just 1) is a must if you have toddlers. My wife cooks in batches for the young one, and having the extra space to keep stuff frozen till we need it is so very helpful. we threw the deep freezer in the garage. We did buy a second one thinking we might need it and saw we very seldom exceeded the ability to get everything sorted away so ended up giving away the second deep freezer.

Never saw the point of two fridges…

If you have multiple rentals, get something that can haul stuff. We have an old SUV that is extra car of the family. used when we have visitors in town and to haul crap.

Optimize commuting time instead of freshness of food. I have dropped the idea of going to grocery once a week and now going grocery stores as often as I want, sometimes daily or even twice. Fresh meats and veggies taste much better. For example, a prime ribeye that is bought and cooked on the same day taste very good without using any condiments. I miss the wet market where I can buy fresh fish, fresh meat and fresh vegetables. I am wondering whether I should do like SJ, have a veggie garden but I know I am lazy and can’t afford another house as veggie garden and a good chef.

2 Likes

Ha! Thanks for validating my two W/D plan :slight_smile: I want to install our current set on the second floor, and there’s already a set in the garage.

Got a minivan as well, but I use it to make Home Depot runs.

I would run 3-4 loads at a time if I could. I do all the laundry on a single day to keep myself sane. I wouldn’t want to lose the space though.

Hadn’t thought of a double deep freezer, but might be worth trying if I go back to work. Can premake a ton of meals.

This is my thinking. Currently our apartment doesn’t have washer/dryer and we try to do as many loads as once as possible.

1 Like

That’s what I did when i stayed in apartments. How you do your laundry will change once you have your own washer/dryer

But does it have to change? That is the question. :slight_smile:

Or more to the point do you really have space for 3 washers and dryers?

If you’re both working, and you have the space, it could be totally worth it.

Guess you guys don’t iron your clothes.

It really depends. I am hoping to do this as least frequent as possible.

1 Like

Thank god i don’t. Even folding currently is a big burden i wish i didn’t have to.

I specifically dress like a slob so I don’t have to.

And in Tech that’s pretty easy.

Thanks! Def. harder than I thought. Here’s what I learned so far:

1. After closing, selling agents went from mortal enemies to best friends.
  2. There’s a lot of space until there isn’t.
  3. Orchard Supply is my sanctuary.
  4. Plastic anchor bolts are garbage.
  5. Don’t cut grass more than 1/3 length, especially in the summer :sweat_smile:.
  6. Respect your neighbors because one day they might save your home.
  7. Pride of ownership is a real thing if you put in the work.
2 Likes

The secret to avoid ironing:

1. Buy good quality shirts (e.g Tommy Hilfiger, Polo etc).
  2. Shirts with buttons need to buttoned up before putting in the washer. I just don’t remove the buttons while removing the shirts.
  3. Put only shirts (not more than 10) in perm-press cycle in the washer.
  4. Put not more than 5-6 shirts in the dryer in perm-press cycle. If your dryer has “steam cycle”, even better. Also put your dryer in wrinke prevention mode.
  5. Take hangers to the laundry room and your shirts go from dryer to hangar.

I haven’t ironed my clothes for a couple of years and always wear buttonup shirts to work.

4 Likes

Work for jeans?

Nobody irons anymore. In fact dry cleaning is dying too…

https://americandrycleaner.com/articles/drycleanings-decline-permanent

1 Like

I am seeing a lot of new homes now have multiple laundry rooms. Some even have a washer/dryer (compact) inside the master closet!

Ooooooooh. Luxury.