Implications of Biden's Infrastructure Plan on EV and Clean Energy

You just point out the flaw of Elon Musk’s argument vs hydrogen fuel cell.

Hydrogen is not suitable for light passenger cars hence is only suitable for rockets? What about the in-between vehicles?

Solar is now cheaper than fossil fuels. And it’s still getting cheaper.

Solar Energy has always been free. People have known it for ages. People in many countries use it to dry clothes. But, can it be used for anything serious and mission critical?

2 Likes

Land is free? Are solar farms on inhabitable land? Not suitable for farming too?

I really want to know the full details of how they compute cost.

Of course you need to lease or otherwise compensate the land owner for the use of their land. So it’s not trivial like hanging laundry out in the sun. There is also costs of solar panels and maintenance etc. Total cost of ownership.

Solar panel costs, log chart:

Another chart. Solar energy costs plunged 90% in 10 years. Wind, 70%.

@manch

Conceptually is not details.

Still better than hand-waving.

That’s your conceptual way. Is counter productive if solar and wind farms shrink the land bank for living and agriculture. Did anyone do a study on how solar and wind farms impact the local weather and climate in general?

The physical limit of solar energy is the amount of energy/power received per square meter on a sunny day. More per square meter in places closer to equator, and almost zero at poles. Even in maximum condition, the amount of energy is not serious.

1 Like

20% of CA’s energy is solar. And that share is rising.

What is your definition of “serious”?

You only need the land area of Inland Empire to power the entire US. It’s very little area given most of the flyover states is empty. And that’s just at today’s panel efficiency, which is also rising.

Plasma Kinetics answers Elon Musk’s outdated concerns about hydrogen.

Vehicles and aircraft can be hot-swappable (without engine shut-off) to allow more time on the road or in the air.

You conclude this based on your own computation or quoted from a source?

Saw some tweet flew by. Probably only households, not including industrial usage.

I do not know how much of solar installation are genuine and how much to claim credit. I receive a lot of call everyday to get solar installed. I get off the phone by saying my electric bill are less than $25.

1 Like

So once installed, the panels are just sitting there not being turned on and not being used?

Interesting observation.

:thinking:

Enphase 130x in 5 years:

Pretty much so. Utilities like PGE are being forced (through law) to integrate these unconventional sources of energy into grid. besides economies, the unconventional source of energy are also an engineering challenge to maintain quality of electricity and stability of grid. But, these things are being tried for years. The only reason these survive is because they keep certain political lobby happy even if there is not much business sense. It is like saying a war with such country is needed because of …
Or we need an affordable home in the middle of million dollar homes etc.

So we should look at micro cap. Any potential?

A Tesla Co-Founder Aims To Build an Entire U.S. Battery Industry

1 Like

they have a ton of money from Breakthrough (Bill Gates fund)

Same article paywall removed
https://archive.is/gpH2B