Inflation Reduction Act

Wow.
A tax credit to buy a car I need to plug into my dryer outlet for 11 hours so I can drive 200 miles or so.
I wouldn’t take one if it was free.
I suppose I should be happy. If it wasn’t for tax credits the auto makers would have to sell electric cars below cost to make their government quota - then jack the price of real cars through the roof to make up the loss.

Can sell for higher prices since the buyer doesn’t get the credit.

Don’t knock it until you try it. This is my favorite F150 Lightning review (not your typical Tesla fanboies, shall we say…). Can’t wait for mine to arrive.

1 Like

These sort of reviews will further propel demand for EVs among those who weren’t even considering before.

Demand for EVs will continue to outpace supply for many years.

Well those guys keep saying it’s too much power for average drivers though.

Thats like saying your spouse is too hot for you. Veiled complement.

2 Likes

Vulgar bragging?

Fourteen hours to “fuel up” assuming you have 220.
I don’t care how fast it is - and neither will buyers once they understand what a constraint they’re stuck with. I’m sure it will be a hit among urbanite show-boys and girls.

What is your use case? Do you tow or carry a lot of material on the bed?

Surfboards, mountain bikes, dump runs, home depot runs, and having a 7,000 pound tank to safely transport my family that charges for free with solar panels. No long distance towing planned. Might pick up a boat in the near future but would be towing 20 miles max.

3 Likes

IRA also provides subsidies for heat pumps and other home energy efficiency improvements:

Here’s how the Inflation Reduction Act’s rebates and tax credits for heat pumps and solar can lower your energy bill

The legislation provides for $9 billion in total energy rebates, including the $4.28 billion High-Efficiency Electric Home Rebate Program, which returns a rebate of up to $8,000 to install heat pumps that can both heat and cool homes, and a rebate up to $1,750 for a heat-pump water heater. Homeowners might also qualify for up to $840 to offset the cost of a heat-pump clothes dryer or an electric stove, such as a high-efficiency induction range.

Many homes will need their electrical panels upgraded before getting new appliances, and the program offers up to a $4,000 rebate toward that initial step.

There are also funds in the IRA to be claimed for smaller actions: a rebate of up to $1,600 to insulate and seal a house, and a rebate of up to $2,500 for improvements to electrical wiring.

1 Like

Except it’s practically unlikely that you drain your battery to 0% and need to back to 100% the next day.

12 hrs of charging is easy to get .

It is very easy, whole day drive 300 miles, at night plug-in home 220, you get fully charged vehicle next day.

No one will feel the pain unless you drive more than 300 miles every day.

How fast can the Ford F-150 Lightning charge?

The F-150 Lightning’s standard range battery takes 44 minutes to charge from 15-80 percent at a 150-kW Level 3 charger. A 50-kW charger is also considered Level 3, though it takes about 91 minutes for the same charge. The extended-range battery actually charges faster at 41 minutes at 150 kW, though the same charge takes 122 minutes at the lower level.

More often buyers will be charging at home or at work with a Level 2 charger. The 80-amp Ford Charge Station Pro ($1,310) will get the standard truck from 15-100 percent in 10 hours while the extended range takes 8 hours. That charger is the one you need if you want to feed power back into your house in case of a power outage. The Ford Connected Charge Station ($799) works at 48 amps and takes the same 10 hours, though the extended range battery goes up to 13 hours.

1 Like

I will drive my obsolete ICE Lexus till EV is mainstream :slight_smile: Is entering early majority phase. Not a scientific study… WAG.

It all depends on your lifestyle. For what DH0 is doing I’d say it won’t be a problem. But the 300 mile range is an ideal; very easy for that to get reduced to under 200 depending on speed and conditions. A lot of things work 95% of the time but it’s the other 5% you need to worry about. A means of personal transportation needs to work under all circumstances to be practical unless you have multiple vehicles and at least one of them is an ICE car. I’ve talked to people who tried to do longer roadtrips in Teslas and it really is a nightmare.

1 Like

:smile: :wink:

1 Like

Umm. That’s seems legit. It’ll definitely save people money.

2 Likes