Investing out of state

Hi friends,

I have been following this forum for over a year very passively and wanted to say hi. Reading through your stories has been very insightful and a great source of real state knowledge.

I currently own a couple of properties in the bay area and I’m contract for a multifamily property in the Portland area , anyone advice when investing out of state? Biggest challenges? Is it worth the effort for 5-6% return?

I’m trying to due my diligence of finding capable management, etc, but any advice or experience would be greatly appreciate it!

1 Like

5-6% of annual rent to purchase price? Seems low.

No. Only Hanera likes out of state property management. I had one friend get robbed by an out of state PM.
Our PM in Ventura stole a lot of money. Then he died. The farther away the higher the cap should be. Plenty of 8 caps in CA

You joined two hours ago

How? Embezzle?

Yes, passively reading for a long time hanera, I have always been shy on this type of things, say facebook, biggerpockets, social media, etc.

But I have been following the food conversation between sfdragonboy and manch for a long time now :slight_smile:

You can’t access the forum without joining

Either @Elt1 or you need to change your icon. Getting confused over the different shades of green.

I pretty much based everything on cap rate, is a 16-plex in portland metro, pruchase 1.7m (20% down) , when bringing place to market rents , I expect a 98k NOI before debt payment.

For what I have read this a normal cap rate in portlan 5%~, but I have been spoiled with stock returns in the past years especially tech.

2 Likes

Hanera you can see it without being sign-in, just open an incognito window and check it out.

1 Like

@Edubravo works at google too so naturally like @tomato they are hyper sensitive about privacy. Because they know how the sausages are made inside the factory. :smile:

Going back to topic I have nothing to offer. I think it’s a great idea to diversify in different geographic areas though. Why Portland specifically? Don’t they have rent control up there?

1 Like

Manch,

Your site security is shitty, not shit hot. Blocked the incognito access.

Why? Why would people join if they can’t see what’s being discussed? You can always hide in lounge. There not even newbies like @Edubravo can see you. Unless they have some secret weapon in Google… :thinking:

Actually can read forum using Safari too (without login). I was using the iPhone just now. Now I’m on the Mac.

Right. No login is required to read. But posting requires login.

How did you figure out he also works at google?

Obvious. Nobody use the resource intensive Chrome except Googlers.

Uh…I use Chrome too. And you don’t need incognito to access the forum. Just open a browser and voila.

My 8 units in Tahoe offer $85k actual Noi $95k market and asking only $1.2m
You can get better deals in CA

1 Like

My nephew in the Sunset has gotten fat eating Sun Tung chicken wings. His wife told me he has been cut off. No more wings :sunglasses: