Investing out of state

Part of expenses for computing cap rate?

16k rent is very good for 1.7M purchase

Welcome, @Edubravo,

Cool last name… Bravo! Bravo! Bravo!!!

Yup, the current cap rate is with landlord still paying utilities, once I’m done stabilizing rents I’m going to explore doing RUBs and backfilling tenants, should add .5% to the cap rate

Thanks! This forum has been a favorite of mine for a long time :slight_smile:

Sounds good. Make sure that Portland will not have rent control.

Every landlord needs to understand rent control fully

Asumming you are self managing? What’s your expense rate on your multifamily? .

25%

My experience is similar (don’t have an exact number), but managing self locally is a fraction of what it was costing me remotely in Sacramento

What’s the 25%? Does it mean that you spend 25% of gross rent on property tax, insurance, vacancy, repairs and maintenance?

Yes that’s the standard in the industry. Except repairs can fluctuate. Some may be considered capital improvements.

I have a “out of state” I was leftover with some moeny from 1031 exchange so rather than paing taxes I bought where I could out of state. So far it has been in over 10%. Have lost about 3 months of rent in reahbbing that and don’t expect to spend more ( hopefully ).

Did you go there when you rehabbed the out of state house? It can be time consuming and costly

No the property management company regabbed it and they did afternoon the lease was up and before putting a new tenent in

Thanka folks I will need to re-run the numbers, currently I have around 45% expenses estimated including property management fee

Hey cloud sounds like you found a nice opportunity 10% is really nice. I find it very hard to find good properties with a decent cap rate

He’s in the game for a while, and he’s a builder - he gets the first shot in a bunch of properties.

Have you dropped out of the contract? If yes, any experiences you want to share on why you did let it go?

I ended up terminating the contract, there was a path to reduce expenses to around 35% (backbilling water via RUBS) but the inspection report was a nightmare :confused: . Anywhere from foundation issues (leaning walls), electric panels that should have been changed in the previous purchase, and a unit that needed a full remodeled, and many more. I could have negotiated a discount, but didn’t feel comfortable managing the whole foundation repair, etc from out of state, so I passed and will look for something a bit more turn-key.

3 Likes

Agree on managing such a project out of state. Finding correct GC and PM will be a challenge.