Is it safe to have contractors inside home?

Was thinking of purchasing a home but it needs quite alot of work (flooring/kitchen appliances/bathroom fittings). I am a senior and now wondering if its wise to do this and have contractors coming and going?

You can complete the work before you move in. In that case, it should be safe, like from having to interact much with contractor (prevent COVID) and your house is empty (safe from theft or damage).

This has been my remodel summer. Floors and countertops. And a plumber to connect up the sink I had to buy with the new countertop (none of the old fittings were compatible).

I’m not in your age group, however recently I built a wall to create a new bedroom, demolished 2 closets and replaced it with a new wall, added a new header for ceiling support, and created space for 1 large closet(with permits) , replaced bathroom double vanity with a new one, new mirrors etc etc using a handyman.

It was a single individual so that helped in minimizing interaction with multiple people. Also, both of us wore masks and maintained social distancing when we required interaction.

My point is if you can reduce the number of individuals working and can maintain social distancing it reduces risks by a lot.

Let them work, you just keep it fully sanitized cleaning and open (not moving in for 5 days) . All covid virus vanishes in 5 days.

This is what my company does every building gets infected, not allowing any one to visit for 3-5 days.

I’d stay somewhere else–you don’t want the dust either–generally carcinogenic. Make sure you air out the home. To my knowledge, they currently believe that CV is transmitted through the air, less so the surfaces.

thnx everyone, appreciate the input :slight_smile:

Yes, there’s lots of dust as I can attest after recent activity. However, Brit is a senior so Brit doesn’t have to worry much about carcinogens at all :slight_smile:
I’m not even 60 yet and have stopped worrying about how much mercury is in the fish I like :slight_smile:
There are very few upsides to getting old but not having to worry about long term effects of toxins is one of them.

I’d recommend reading this article. If you’re at risk, focus on ventilation, don’t worry about surface contamination.

Contractors are charging the highest prices ever. Lumber prices doubled since March. Not a smart economic decision to remodel right now.

I’ve a contractor whom I signed up with last year and agreed on a price to expand my primary. It’s taken them 8 months to get the plans to almost approval state with the city. I am out only 3% overall costs right now. I think I need to re-check what they think about costs in light of what you are saying.

1 Like

Honestly, I would be very concerned about dust. I just don’t imagine lung cancer to be the way I want to go. :frowning: I kinda enjoy breathing.

Hello Brit,
I read your post not early but if you not buy home yet you can contact to Real estate all turkey they welcomes you all to the Property Buying process by Maximos Real Estate. Once you have prepared all the finances are ready to jump, this guide will help for the steps ahead.

It is understandable to have concerns about having contractors coming and going while you are in the process of purchasing a home that requires significant renovations. Depending on the extent of the work that needs to be done, it can be disruptive to have contractors in and out of the home. Additionally, if you are a senior, you may have different considerations or concerns when it comes to home repairs and renovations.

That being said, it is possible to manage the process of home renovations, even as a senior. One option is to work with a reputable contractor or home renovation company that can handle the work for you. This can help to ensure that the work is completed to a high standard and that any disruptions are minimized. You could also consider working with a project manager who can oversee the renovations and communicate with the contractors on your behalf.

Another option is to prioritize the renovations and make a plan that allows you to tackle the work in stages. This can help to minimize the amount of time that contractors are in and out of the home and allow you to focus on one area of the home at a time.

Ultimately, the decision to purchase a home that requires significant renovations is a personal one and will depend on your budget, time constraints, and comfort level with home repairs and renovations. It may be helpful to discuss your concerns with a financial advisor or real estate agent to get a better understanding of the potential costs and benefits of this type of home purchase.