Is the market still cooling?

When McDonald was proposed in a complex (Bollinger vs Miller) WSJ/Cupertino, people objected and stopped that proposal.

Dividing lot into two is a challenge as most of the homes are zoned region wise. If the lots are R18 (10k lot), it is not easy to divide into two 5k lot as 1) City/County may not approve 2) neighbors will immediately object City/County proposal.

I didn’t know this.
Why did they object? Traffic concern?
We need more fun place (especially for kids) in our boring town!

The proposed place is just opposite of Hyde Middle school. Parents objected that the kids may go to McDonald and eating unhealthy/high fat/Colorie food resulting Child Obesity.

Video games cause more obesity than McDonald’s. .shall we ban them too?

2 Likes

Uh oh… maybe I am not well qualified parent.
I don’t get their concern.
Look at school hot lunch menu.
Most of them are pizza, burger, chicken nugget and french fries.
The only difference is probably taste?

BTW, the article says main concern was drive-through.
I can understand the concern on pedestrian since my kid walk there with friend from time to time. On the other hand, is drive-through really dangerous to pedestrian?
Anyway, it looks like Drive-through must have been really important to McDonalds given that they gave up the location eventually. Do people really care about drive-through? Do you really save your time with drive-through?

I don’t believe Sunnyvale is more expensive than Cupertino. Do we have proofs?

The main reason is that McDonald is not upscale enough. NIMBY loves whole food and other high end restaurants instead

[quote=“manch, post:66, topic:833, full:true”]
I don’t believe Sunnyvale is more expensive than Cupertino. Do we have proofs?
[/quote]West Sunnyvale not Sunnyvale.

Randomly look through Red fin,

94087: 2235 on 9966, 4Br/3Ba sold for $2.178 mil on Nov 1, 2016. $985/ sqft.

95014: 2208 on 10137, 4Br/2Ba sold for $2.055 mil on Sep 29, 2016. $938/ sqft.

1 Like

If that general trends hold (I am still skeptical) then W Sunnyvale is overvalued and Cupertino way undervalued. I’d trade Monta Vista for Homestead all day long. They aren’t even in the same league.

That’s what I thought too. But it could be short commute is valued more than good schools. Sunnyvale is more centrally located, so for a couple with one working in MV and one working in Cupertino, Sunnyvale is better.

3 Likes

But the two houses you showed are only 5 minutes apart? Or maybe 85 is worse than I expected?

The Cupertino seller was cocky. They didn’t do any staging and the photos were bad. The Sunnyvale seller was better prepared. But even if they sold at same price I’d still say Cupertino is undervalued.

Well, i can understand Homstead and Monta homes are similar range (or Homstead is higher) although i personally prefer Monta area over Homstead.
However, Fremont high home price is quite shocking to me. Their school rating is 7 even after commom core test inflation. That is pretty weak.
I guess trend is “proximity” over “good school”?

Mitty is in that area. People could send their kids to private HS.

Mitty is in west san jose.
It is located at east side of Lawrence and south side of 280 (Cupertino High area).
I don’t think Fremont high area(sunnyvale) is close to Mitty.

It’s not far. Kids go to that school from much further away than that.

Yea, whenever we are considering Cupertino or WSJ, we scared of 85. That’s why West Sunnyvale with Homestead high & Cupertino Middle is most desirable choice for us, right now.

I definitely notice that I could get cheaper (not a lot) in Cupertino than that area.

Agree. It is not too far.
However, main benefit of that Fremont high home is really proximity to many big companies.
Thus, as hanera pointed out if wife works for google and husband works for LinkedIn, the location would be very preferred.
Then, don’t you want to send your kids to neighborhood school to take the maximum benefit of your home location?
If you have to take your kids to Mitty and pick them up again, what are you saving for commute?
What is the point of paying 2.35million for proximity to your office and then sending your kids to private school which increases the commute time again?

2 Likes

Manch, why do you rate Monta Vista much higher than Homestead ? I’am curious , still building my opinion about high schools . It is based on API or overall school being much better ?

It has been like this way, Monta Vista as topper for many decades, Hilly quiet areas, Lot size bigger, lot of R18(10k) zones and schools are at 10-10-10. There are multi millions big homes near by Cupertino-Saratoga borders increases desirability and privacy that falls under Monta Vista area.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Cupertino/10531-Davison-Ave-95014/home/789708

Similar home in W Sunnyvale would be listed for much more .

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Sunnyvale/1466-Lewiston-Dr-94087