Jim Rogers: Next bear market will be the worst in my lifetime

Jim Rogers Says the Next Bear Market Will Be the Worst of His Lifetime

In December 2007, Rogers sold his mansion in New York City for about 16 million USD and moved to Singapore. Rogers claimed that he moved because now is a ground-breaking time for investment potential in Asian markets. Rogers’s daughters speak fluent Mandarin to prepare them for the future. He is quoted as saying: “If you were smart in 1807 you moved to London, if you were smart in 1907 you moved to New York City, and if you are smart in 2007 you move to Asia.”[ citation needed ]

In a CNBC interview with Maria Bartiromo broadcast on May 5, 2008, Rogers said that people in China are extremely motivated and driven, and he wants to be in that type of environment, so his daughters are motivated and driven. He also stated that this is how America and Europe used to be. He chose not to move to Chinese cities like Hong Kong or Shanghai due to the high levels of pollution causing potential health problems for his family; hence, he chose Singapore.

Rogers has been saying that forever. Missed the whole move since S&P bottomed out in 2009.

Seems the air pollution problem is almost fixed in china now? Will see this winter.

2 Likes

Rogers is a gadfly with a stupid bow tie. He has no credibility.

1 Like

No buy gold?

Oh, invest in Zimbabwe!

never invest in instable countries. Or if you plan to do, do it in person, hands on, do construction.
First thing weak economies do is construction boom. Creates employment, inflates gdp. Easy money if you know your way around.

His GF, pictured on the cover of “Investment Biker,” was hot. Think her name was Tabatha. Of course that’s a quarter of a century ago now.
I remember going over his list of stuff to take when traveling the third world - needed items you likely wouldn’t be able to find. He went out of his way to say you should stock plenty of condoms. I flipped to the cover and thought “Oh, shut up!” :slight_smile: