Landlord hate

These people are the most dangerous for rent control. They can go to low income immigrants to get votes to push rent control.

That’s a dangerous combination for our society. Caucasian liberals are the most dangerous liberals.

1 Like

Remember back in the day as a student renter in the BA, I hated having to rent a room in a SFH that was managed by the mom & pop owner-landlord. So much so that buying a house became a (admittedly unrealistic) goal even though the prospects of staying long term weren’t so great. Definitely not all, but some landlords really deserve the criticism they get. When you pay expensive market rates you kind of expect a certain standard of service. The lack of competition among landlords in areas dominated by renters doesn’t foster an environment with customer (renter) focus. As a LL now, I have to remind myself of this.

1 Like

Do you think RWC or San Mateo or San Jose are the best bet?

Rwc

What about EPA vs RWC?

It’s already too late for RWC. I saw a short sale near Woodside Rd about five years ago that was sold for ~$600K. Now it’s probably worth double the amount if not more.

Not sure. RWC is next best place for FB employees, i feel. EPA schools are too bad, but i think it still is a long term bet.

North Fair Oaks of menlo park might be a good bet short term.

1 Like

EPA has active gentrification anger. There were people protesting outside a new office building.

RWC has the anger, but honestly I see it more on Nextdoor than in person or on the news.

1 Like

What do you want to bet?

1. Appreciation 2) Affordability 2) Rental cash flow? 4) Stability

I compare similar good location in all these areas (say WSJ vs Emerald hills).

RWC/San Mateo came as competitive as San Jose. For the same money, you will get nicer home/lot in SJC than RWC/SanMateo.

EPA is affordable, less expensive than the above three, you can expect better growth as this is still lower in cost.

1 Like

This is true. But the overall anti-landlord sentiment that I’m seeing on Nextdoor seems to me to have thrown the net widely to be angry with everyone from the Beltramos (who someone said own half of Menlo Park) to what is probably a mom & pop landlord who was kind to someone and got spit on after 30 years.

Focus, focus, focus.
Diversify, diversify, diversify.

Balance of focus vs diversification.

San Mateo > RWC > SJ > EPA.

EPA and SJ have rent control, not a good place to be a landlord. Flipping is fine.

Part of San Mateo also needs gentrification. But RWC seems to be gentrified faster due to FB

1 Like

When RWC is gentrified, some of the people may move to EPA and gentrify EPA as well. But with the rent control, I think EPA is slow to gentrification

:wink: A good reason not to buy any rental in SJ.

A bit late to the dialog… I concur. I see a lot of anti-landlord post on nextdoor. They are usually around 2 topics:

1. Rising rents so some renter has to move out and is now looking for new place.
  2. Some landlord or property manager posts property for rent, then responses claim the rent is so high and landlords are so greedy.

In many cases, I look at the rent and it is not out of the ordinary for the neighborhood. Although there are posts which are anti-landlord, but then there are also posts stating common sense: it’s free market supply and demand that drives the rent prices.

1 Like

SJ rent control only applies to certain apartment, I think. My rental in WSJ is definitely not subject to any rent control…

Also, places with rent control usually yields more rent than those without (think SF). So it’s actually good to buy rentals in rent controlled areas.

1 Like

Does San Jose has just cause eviction?

Yes, apartment and multiplexes that has more than 4 units fall into rent control.

Yes, 3 days right, it is available.