Last month's rent and giving notice

If you’re on a month-to-month lease, and you give 30 days notice mid-month (can you do that?), does the PM company have to refund you 1/2 of the rent money you just paid at the beginning of the month? If so, which months’ rent do they use to calculate your last month’s rent–the 1st month you rented, or current rent?

1 Like

Normally, it is like this. I serve notice today telling them I vacate on July 20th. Next month July 1st, I need to pay 20 days rent to PM. At this point, you can not subtract from your deposit unless you talk to them (and normally they do not agree). Then, around 20th, you need to have move out inspection with PM.

They take max 21 days (count starts from July 21st onwards) to return your deposit subtracting the expenses. Officially PM is allowed to keep the deposit for 21 days to send you itemized expenses and a deposit return check.

But I already paid last month’s rent, so if I serve notice on June 20, and vacate on July 20th, that month was already paid for years ago when I moved in. But I paid on June 1 for the days of June 20-30, so I’ve double paid.

[Sorry–I can see I forgot to mention that I already paid last month’s rent when I moved in along with a security deposit]

Come on, this shouldn’t be that hard right? Serving notice on June 20th means rent paid for June is just a normal month of paid rent. Serving notice applies to a future time period, not usually applicable to a current month under way. July is essentially your last month’s rent or in this case a pro-rated portion. You would be presumably entitled to a refund of the excess under normal circumstances.

1 Like

Ok, so then by your logic, the refund applies to the last month’s rent paid up front in 2010.

Yes, but also taking into account any rent increases of course. Your last month’s rent amount may not be the same as what you prepaid in 2010. Your landlord was probably not as benevolent as I was with my contractor tenant whom I never raised his rent ever in over 10 years. He’s done so much work for me over the years I made out like a bandit…

You are lucky. I just evicted a contractor tenant. Would do unauthorized work and was always late with the rent. He naturally assumed he knew more about construction than I did. He didn’t know shit from Shinola

You mean you couldn’t spin it to work in your favor? I mean, contractor help (competent and fully aware of all building standards/codes) is priceless these days…

I’m sorry, I thought prepaying last month’s rent meant that the last month was “billed” at same
rate you started at in 2010 or whenever. That’s how it’s been done for us in the past. We’ve never supplemented that last month before. Which is what you are suggesting, sfdragonboy.

Ok ,was poking around on the subject. I guess that’s why I don’t ask for last month’s rent typically anyway. You are correct apparently that if the rent goes up you don’t have to pay the difference but according to this article unless you and the landlord agree to paying it.

See, I learn something new everyday on here. Thanks for bringing it up @Terri!!!

1 Like

Nobody is going to tell me how to do construction work.
People that work for me do it my way or the highway.
The loser tenant was unlicensed and incompetent like 90% of the people in the handyman business.
I prefer to hire manage and train them myself.

1 Like

Geez, where were you when the Millennium Tower was going up???

1 Like

Retired

1 Like