Live face-to-face forum focusing on the Bay Area real-estate market

Kent Mitchell knows a lot about Berkeley. Apartment owner and realtor.

Very interesting observation about that age range. Most of us are the age range(s) below that. Iā€™m going to guess 25-65 with the majority in their 40s. I think the thing that would prevent me most from participating is lack of anonymity especially because many of us are working folks and wouldnā€™t want coworkers having a glimpse into our financial lives. But maybe with the crowd youā€™re talking about, that would not be an issue.

At your favorite strip club :sunglasses:

PS: It seems to me that we might be entirely the wrong crowd to ask simply by virtue of the fact that we are the frequent participants in an online, text-based forum.

Iā€™m telling your wife.

1 Like

Not mainly a reverse mortgage forumā€¦ but in some case it might be useful. I know a 75yo widow who during 10 years preferred starving to death and letting her house in SF deteriorate than borrow on her property or do a reverse mortgage (Catholicsā€¦). And she is not aloneā€¦

I get the impression you want the old folks to move to make room for newcomers and investors. If your audience gets a whiff of that your concept is dead in the water.

1 Like

Last I checked, borrowing was not a sin in the Catholic faith. But definitely that age group feels that success is having paid off oneā€™s house, and taking out a mortgage is tantamount to a death spiral financially. And if she canā€™t pay off improvements right now, Iā€™d probably agree with her.

We are just discussing business there. If we go to a Starbucks, we might get arrested for loiteringā€¦

Terri:

Great remark!

Any more precise idea of the sociology of the forumā€™s participants?

From what I understand that you say:

• Age 25-65 majority in their 40s
  • Working folks: Banks? Administrations or Google / Facebook?
  • Percentage of RE professionals?
  • Purpose of participating to the forum? General chat related to the BA? Politics? Real-Estate questions or opinions?

About the video forum: it is possible to fully participate without registering or subscribing to anything. Possibility to use just the audio.

The purpose is not to talk about individual cases and individual financial situations.

C

Iā€™m beginning to suspect that @Elt1ā€™s wife hacked into his account, especially considering his frequent use of emojis.

1 Like

This is the only one I like. It was the logo on a boat I raced. Incognito was the name. $100 to whoever can figure out what ELT stands for.
:sunglasses:

1 Like

East Lake Tahoe
Embarrassing Lawrence Taylor
Elegant Lady Thoughts
Every Last Tear

Did I win???

:sunglasses:
No

Damn it! I was sooooo sure I was closeā€¦:wink:

Up zone the neighborhood to eight stories and they can all retire to the South of France with mega millions.
The natural progression of cities is higher density. Older residents get a pay off and newer folks get affordable housing. The BA has tried to stop this natural organic capitalism and created a Stalinist nightmare of homelessness, rent control and spiraling prices.

1 Like

This Live forum would also be hit. Anything related to RE will be hit and you would have traffic.

you see RE is the hobby of most of the Techies in the bay area. They keep watching the Redfin /Zillow when they are bored on their computer screens doing their coding or whatever.

RE is the ā€œNational Sportsā€ of the people living in Bay Area.

1 Like

If it is a sport . Letā€™s make a blood sport like on the history of the world a la Mel Brooks. Instead of shooting peasants we can shoot bureaucrats launched on Elonā€™s rockets :sunglasses:

She passed away two years ago and her three children have a completely different approach.

C

ā€œnewer folks get affordable housingā€ Are you kidding?

The prices of the new constructions in Berkeley are atrocious. No Berkeley worker can afford them!

Even with an awful view on the rail tracks and being situated between the rail tracks and the Freeway.