Live face-to-face forum focusing on the Bay Area real-estate market

Trailer parks are one solution to affordable housing. New housing will always be Markert rate priced. Low wage earners will move into older units vacated by market rate buyers. New construction by definition is not affordable. My Sac apartments are worth $80k Unit. To build new they would cost $300k per unit even with cheap Sac land and labor.

3 Likes

"New housing will always be Market rate priced. " I am not against new constructions and it is true that older owners can benefit from it.

But densification has some limits: Traffic jams on the Ashby and University Avenue, on San Pablo, Six Street for what I know.

Wouldnā€™t it be better for Facebook, Salesforceā€¦ to create new offices in other places. There are tons of very intelligent workers that would be happy to work where they live instead of moving here.

ā€œ$300k per unit even with cheap Sac land and laborā€ => I read that before and it seems to be true though difficult to believe for a non-RE professional.

Any approximate break down of the $300k explaining why it is so expensive?

Figure 1000sf unit. Land, entitlements,parking, hard cost of unit at $200/SF plus financing development fees and taxes. Use $500k in SF

OMG!

C