Location suggestion for Primary in South Bay

We need a crowd source project!

Correct. Stokes home must be avoided, too noisy, endlessā€¦

1 Like

Over the past few years, price of houses in West Sunnyvale (94087)/ Cupertino (95014)/ West San Jose (95130) converges. So if you owned houses in 94087, you would be very happy as it appreciated faster than Cupertino. You would be even happier if you owned a MV SFH, it overtook Cupertino.

Interesting. So in that case for last few years, owning a house in Cupertino is least return compared to this three locations? So what do you think would happen on downtrend? Which one will retain value the most?

Which companies can withstand downturn better? Apple, Facebook, Google? I think the prices in those three areas are moving in tandem now.

1 Like

Yea, I would say so, Google most of all with the most diverse business, but I think they all will do well. For downrun, I think South Bay has more companies that can withstand the storm more so than earlier / smaller startups in SF.

2 Likes

Wow! I didnā€™t realized that Sunnyvale w/ Cupertino Schools are going for almost $1100 per sq ft now. Havenā€™t looked in that area in awhile. I suppose that Iā€™m the pessimist of the group but Iā€™d worry about future appreciation buying at that price.

2 Likes

We have been talking mostly on West Sunnyvale & Cupertino. I am curious on people take on Menlo Park? We love the idea of living in Menlo Park, but might be far away from Asian groceries and food that we love :slight_smile:

Price has dropped twice on this house:

Another one I was eyeing on, but pending now:

Wow, Menlo Park is so cheap compare to West Sunnyvale/ Cupertino. I got a feeling that neighborhoods desirable to Asians are going up in price relative to those favor by caucasians. I came up with that reasoning when I notice that price in Los Gatos is lower than Cupertino and MV.

You can add @sfdragonboyā€™s Sunset neighborhood to the list.

If you are willing to consider Menlo Park, @myo, how about San Carlos and Belmont? I bid on both back in 2010/11 and lost. :sob: They both have great elementary and middle schools, and the northern part of San Carlos feed into Carlmont High which is alright, but not top tier. But for Asian groceries or restaurants both are coming up short.

We looked into that awhile ago. I donā€™t like hilly / narrow roads, so a lot of nice area in Belmont is out. But trying to keep it as close to south bay as possible. But still an option I guess.

1 Like

How about my broā€™s town of Saratoga? I suspect maybe more expensive than 2m but maybe not? I hear the schools are good.

Saratoga is nice, but it is too far from where we might be working. And expensive :slight_smile:

I still remember the girl driven to suicide because of bullying at Saratoga High. Ever since that I have had very bad impression of the town. :slight_smile:

That is probably the worst location in all of MP. That stretch of Santa Cruz is practically a highway. But hey, if youā€™re a VC, maybe you can walk to work? :wink:

2 Likes

In Menlo, you would probably have better luck if you could get to the $2m range. The Willows (feeds into Laurel Elementary) and Unincorporated Menlo (feeds into Los Lomitas) are your best bets. High school for both is Menlo Atherton. Not ranked as high as some others so it depends on your philosophy on schools.

Iā€™d avoid east of 101 unless you are considering private schools. Iā€™d also be careful buying in Sharon Heights. Many lots have soil stability issues.

The only Asian grocery closed down a few months back. :frowning: Nearest now is probably Mt View.

This one is interesting but in need of some major updates:

Probably best served as a tear down but this area might work:

Also, unincorporated Menlo has a high water table so Iā€™d make sure the inspection checked for water issues. New builds there have french drains.

Thanks for the info. Yea, that Central ave one is interesting. I have been watching that for a while since my co-worker lives a couple of houses down. And it has 2/1 detached in-law unit with back alley access.

1 Like

Please, do you know how many teen suicides have happened in Palo Alto lately? According to this article, 10 since 2009. Has it impacted or tarnished PAā€™s reputation? No. Crap happens everywhere.

1 Like

I donā€™t think that incident was just suicide.

PA suicide is definitely a serious issue but this incident to me is more serious problem.

House party with vodka for 15 year olds and all horrible things happened there?

I didnā€™t know about this incident but am glad i didnā€™t move to that areaā€¦

1 Like