Location suggestion for Primary in South Bay

I knew this incident from the beginning. This is one of the extreme cases shocked the people/community. Do not judge the location by this incidence alone. Saratoga is expensive place for real estate and desirable location.

1 Like

I agree.
However, house party with vodka for 15 years old?
Not sure that was also extreme case there.

Spoiled rotten rich kids, unsupervised. .receipe for disaster. .problem in all wealthy communities. ā€¦

4 Likes

Jane,

Come on now, I was just using PA since that has happened to just prove a point but it in no way is indicative of how positive in general PA is. Same with Saratoga. I donā€™t have a dog in the fight, but letā€™s be honest Saratoga home pricing or reputation was not and has not been materially impacted by this one bad case. I repeat, crap happens everywhere. Do you not recall a young woman being mauled to death by a big dog in the affluent neighborhood of Cow Hollow of SF years ago? Think about that. Mauled to death in your own apartment hallwayā€¦ Sad case, but no impact and no one should be fearful of living in Cow Hollow or SF for that matter.

@manch hails from San Jose. Well, depending on which part of San Jose or not I would still easily take Saratoga over that. Gee, a city that canā€™t maintain its police force and there are gangs everywhere. Hmmm, which city realistically should one really be more fearful of then??? Ainā€™t Saratogaā€¦

Rich kids acting badly is nothing newā€¦Will hear the stories at my high school reunion. But I know several classmates are already dead and goneā€¦many people at Tam high ended up dead or in jailā€¦Many professors kids at Berkeley ODed. or ended up in prisonā€¦The sixties were at lot tougher than nowā€¦Things are actually much better off now than 50 years agoā€¦remember the riots, the war, drugs, murdersā€¦times are actually pretty tame these daysā€¦
Murder rate is now half of back then, same with car accident deaths,
ā€¦We live in a cocooned era and yet feel less sameā€¦all suffering from TMIā€¦

In fact we are the safest weā€™ve been in 50 years

Maybe I should go get this crappy house on the block:

1 Like

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Look again at the address number. You couldnā€™t give me that houseā€¦:slight_smile: well, maybe

1 Like

There is no garage.
Would it be a big problem?
Just curious.

Donā€™t ever mess with ancient chinese voodooā€¦

Long time ago, my very young co worker, a good looking man, blonde blue eyed told me he and his even more good looking wife were having difficulty getting her pregnant. Tried everything. Well, they were pointed to that chinese fertility calendar thingy or what have you. Boom, one girl. One boy. Exactly as they wanted. They agreed with me, they are from Marin and as white as can be (no offensive folks) but they donā€™t ever question the mysterious ways of chinese voodooā€¦

Anchoring. For ignorant guys like me, I donā€™t anchor to that period, only compare with the time I first arrived in 2002.

Youā€™re compromising your criteria or stop the thread from deviating? Less than 6000 sqft lot, an odd shape lot and no garage? Must have criteria: Rectangular lot, attached garage and not near busy road/ highways.

Garage is definitely nice, but not deal breaker as long as you have good private parking spots. We use garage for storage anyway.

Definitely a compromise for location & price target. I donā€™t think I am going forward with this, but I thought it is something interesting.

Also I really enjoyed all the advice from the forum since many of you have good input to specific local / roads.

Interesting. Close to san antonio and el camino, yet far enough away to avoid traffic noise. Within walking distance of whole foods. Great schools. Google-X is at the san antonio caltrain, so that may be a plus. It is not clear if that tiny bedroom officially counts as a 3rd bedroom. I think for me it has potential ā€“ it all depends on how easy it would be to add square footage in the future, given the smallish lot size.

Funny how the LA threw in the 8s in the asking price, oblivious of the bad mojo in the address.

Yes, me too.

Itā€™s not just how ā€œrichā€ an area is. Beverly Hills is certainly rich, but I donā€™t think I would like that culture around my kids.

I think Asian kids are generally tamer because they have tiger parents looking over their shoulders. Frankly who has energy to misbehave when you have weekend tutor classes? So Iā€™d prefer Cupertino to Saratoga for my kids to grow up.

With suicide you have some control as parents. Bullying? You mostly donā€™t.

One thing I havenā€™t seen anyone brought up yetā€¦ most likely the house you buy this year or next you will only stay 5 or 7 years. Situation changes. When I bought my SJ house I have the K-12 plan all worked out, only to move 5 years later.

So if you buy a 2M house, will the rent 5 years from now support the PITI payment? Rent tends to level out at a certain level, not sure it can support house payment on a 2M house. Otherwise your option down the road will be more limited. You may be forced to sell next time you move. Not that there is anything wrong with it. Just to include it into consideration.

This house will go fast.

1 Like

Yea, no doubt. Not sure whatā€™s the best way to plan for the unexpected either.

So unless your child is extrovert and independent, living in a neighborhood dominated by caucasians would devastate your child.

About $5000.

And that would support around 1M of mortgage. That argues for limiting houseā€™s budget to below 1.5.